Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cheez-It

Do you have a favorite comfort food or snack?  If you know me, you know that mine is my (that word will be explained later) Cheez-Its, but did you know that they are not Cheez-Its. The product is Cheez-It. I found that out tonight when I was double checking whether it was hyphenated or not. Nonetheless I can eat me some Cheez-Its and that means a lot more than one little cracker.  And don't try to tell me those other brands are just as good.  No way man!  And get the original flavor. 

A box of these salty cheesy tidbits has gone with me on every vacation as far back as I remember. If we went to Dallas, a box of Cheez-It was in the car.  If we went to Tulsa for a couple of days, a box was in the car.  We have even stopped at the nearest Cheez-It mart if I had failed to buy a box before we left.  If we flew for a trip, we rented a car and stopped at the nearest convenience store to load up on junk food. You never know when you will be stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Better get the Cheez-It.  One should never be without them. 

When we went to Hawaii in 1973, I went to the drug store next door to our hotel and bought a box for my lunch while the hubby was at work.  I ate Cheez-It's and an avocado every day for lunch - you don't to know about the avocados.

They have gone with me when I went TDY - ask my TDY partners.  I stayed near LAX at the Embassy Suites many times.  Lucky for me, there was a little convenience store out the back door of the hotel and across the street. I would risk my life by running across the street for a box of crackers.  There is nothing better after a long day in meetings than a hot bath, relaxing on those wonderful fluffy white linens with a good paperback, the remote control in hand, a Coke over the clear hotel ice, and Cheez-It - you gotta a meal!  A picnic in bed!  Who needs to eat out?   I would dearly love to be that relaxed right now.          

I have been having my comfort food a lot this week which brings up a little memory.  Years ago when my first great nieces were about 3 or 4, we were all at mom's house.  Snacks were all about, and I had my box of Cheez-It.  Those little grub hounds wanted my Cheez-Its.  I shared some, but they kept coming back, wanting more of my Cheez-Its.  There were other snacks so why did they want my Cheez-Its?  I had to do something about this!  I put the box behind my back.  When they came begging for my Cheez-Its, I turned them on to some other snack.  My sisters saw this and gave me grief for hiding my Cheez-Its from those sweet little girls.  To this day every time they see me with a box, they tease me about hiding them from the kids.  Better ask permission before reaching into my Cheez-It box. 

By the way, throwing away the box before I have poured all the salty bits into my mouth is cause for a lot of drama at my house.  I will be the judge of when the box is empty.  

I love you all.         

2 comments:

  1. FYI, you did not JUST hide the box behind your back. You LIED to those sweet little girls and said they were all gone!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive