Friday, October 19, 2012

Family Recipes–Memories

As I was cleaning the kitchen this morning, I ran across my mother’s recipe files and in it are many family recipes.  It struck me once again, that I seldom look at these old recipes, and almost never use them.  But boy, oh boy, I have to tell you a lump formed in my throat when I looked at them closely.  There I found my mother’s handwriting………..then I found my sisters’ and sister-in-law’s handwriting…….and oh my gosh, way at the back, I found my Grandma Dawkins’ homemade taffy recipe in her handwriting.  And there on the same shelf, I found a baggie full of my mother-in-law’s recipes, many of them in her own handwriting, and often on scraps of paper.
These recipes are not necessarily ones that I liked, but just a compilation of family memories.  I hope you enjoy them.  If you happen to want a particular recipe that you cannot read, please contact me and I will decipher for you.

cheese roll largeThis looks so tiny (remember I am still learning the ins and outs of this new computer) you might not be able to read it, but it is my sister-in-law’s Mexican Cheese Rolls that she gave me 30 years ago when I was having a Christmas homeowner’s meeting at my house. 
coo0kies largegingerbread large
The recipe on the left is my great grandmother’s cookie recipe, but in my sister’s, Brenda, handwriting.  On the right is my mother-in-law’s recipe for Ginger Bread which she made often once she found out our son loved it.  Grandmas are like that.
hominy cass largeImage
On the left is Kay’s recipe and in her handwriting.  The recipe on the right is my Aunt Betty’s Peanut Brittle in Brenda’s handwriting.
pie largetaffy large
And…………on the left……here is mom’s recipe in her handwriting. 
And last………….lump in my throat…………here is Grandma Dawkins’ recipe for Old Fashioned Taffy and in her handwriting………….{sigh}.  The only time I ever saw my grandpa help in the kitchen was when she made taffy.  Oh my, it was so hot and you had to work fast.  Grandpa and Grandma would stretch the taffy back and forth till it was porous.  What memories of a cold winter evening with loving grandparents.  Never to be again, but I will have that memory forever and especially when I see her handwriting.
There is something special about revisiting the handwriting of my family.  Will you have the same feeling of your recipe file on Pinterest?  I doubt it.  I could rewrite all these and have nice typewritten, readable recipes, but why would I erase these memories?
I love you!!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's how I felt making dumplings from the recipe in your handwriting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, that was the sweetest comment.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive