Monday, January 5, 2015

Hamburgers and Memories

Have you ever had one of those sensory moments where you are taken back in time?  Sight, sound, touch, smell, and tastes.  Smell...........I had one of those sensory moments tonight with the smell of pickles.  Pickles!!!  Hamburgers were on the menu and when I opened that jar of pickles, I was immediately a little girl again.  So much so that a tear fell and the hubby asked what was wrong.  I looked up and he immediately said "You had one of those moments, didn't you?" and gave me a sweet hug.  He knows me all too well.

I have written about our Saturday night hamburger suppers several times, but for me the memory never gets old.  Saturday nights were the "party" time for my family; pop to drink, hamburgers on the stove with that wonderful odor............hamburgers frying in the cast iron skillets, freshly diced onions (not sliced), thinly, thinly sliced lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and mom's dill pickles-----just up from the cold cellar.  All those odors came together to almost make me weep tonight.  It wasn't the hamburgers so much as it was the gathering of those seven people.  The shuffling of seven chairs, the girls with rollers in their hair, the chatter, the faces........oh the faces.  Seven people who knew nothing of the future............just living in the moment............a family..........my family.

Those faces came back to me tonight......young faces........and two faces now gone, but never, ever forgotten.

Here's to my favorite meal at home.........hamburgers and memories of a wonderful childhood

I love you.

If you come to visit, I will gladly make you a hamburger, but you won't have this emotion for the faces have changed.  I would hope, however, that you would leave with a happy memory of being in my home.  I might even tell you a story about my life on the farm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive