Saturday, January 19, 2019

What is Your Limit

For the last few days, we have been watching various car auctions from Scottsdale, AZ.  Many hundreds of thousands of dollars (and several million on some) are spent on cars that may or may not ever be driven.


This begs the question............just what is your limit?  Exactly where does one draw the line on how much is something worth?  Do you bid up a car to 1.975 million, but just can't go another $25K to make it $2M?  Do you secretly hold your breath hoping to win the car or do you secretly let out your breath when someone outbids you?


This same question can be asked about most anything we buy.  Exactly what is our limit.  Yesterday, I saw a little key fob, really cute.  Considered the little bobble for myself until I realized that it was $109.  After sucking in my breath a little, I thought to myself "who would buy this........at $109?". 


I often think of my mom back in the day when the price of lettuce spiked.  I can't remember the price, but it was pricey in her opinion.  Mom had reached her limit........the price of the lettuce was higher than her perceived value...........so the lettuce stayed at the grocery store.


I'm not on anybody's case.  If you can afford to spend $109 for a little key fob to attach to your purse, by all means go right ahead.  Your limit has not been reached.  If you want that million dollar car and can afford it, then you have told the world that your limit has not been reached.


I think for most of us, our limit is tested daily and not by million dollar cars or $100 key fobs.  Our limit is challenged by the price of that Starbucks coffee, the new pajamas we saw at Target, whether to buy the plain Jane $2 notebook or the one with the daily quotes for $9.  It might even be the head of lettuce from Walmart for $1.48.............which after a bit of hesitation I decided to buy. 


Here's to you, Mom, for instilling me with a sense of cost effectiveness.


I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive