Friday, October 4, 2019

Mrs. Tucker's Candied Sweet Potatoes

No better time to start thinking of comfort food and the upcoming holidays.  One of the staples at the Tucker Thanksgiving has been Mrs. Tucker's Sweet Potatoes.  She was the master of sweet potatoes and by watching her for years, I have taken up the mantle.  My family will only eat these sweet potatoes.  They sure don't want any of the marshmallow type recipes.



Recently, I have been asked to share Mrs. Tucker's. but she didn't actually have a recipe.  Nothing was measured so I will try to share as best I can.  It has taken me 47 years to get it 'perfect', but I don't think one can actually mess this one up.  It may vary just a tad each time. but here are the basics. 











Mrs. Tucker's Candied Sweet Potatoes


Fresh Sweet Potatoes (peeled and sliced)
Brown Sugar
White Karo Syrup
Butter
Salt
Ground Cinnamon






You notice there are no amounts given, but I will try to give you some guidelines.  Mrs. Tucker tried to use smaller sweet potatoes.  After peeling
she'd slice them into probably 3/4 inch slices.  If you use larger potatoes, slice them and then halve the slices.  Place potatoes in a casserole dish that has a lid.  I usually use a 1 1/2 quart to 2 quart dish.



Cover the potatoes with lots of brown sugar, LOTS.  I have never measured nor did she.  Just make a pile of sugar over the potatoes.  Guessing, I'd use at least a cup of slightly packed b. sugar for the casserole.  Pour 1/2 cup syrup over sugar.  Dot with 1 tablespoon butter.  Add a pinch of salt and a sprinkling of cinnamon.  Don't overdo the cinnamon.  DO NOT STIR.  DO NOT ADD WATER.  The sugar and syrup will melt over the potatoes and that is what will candy the potatoes.  When done they will be slightly translucent.  They will also be slightly chewy.  Cover with the lid and put in 350 oven and cook a long time.  Look at them in an hour.  It has taken two hours.  Don't rush them.

If you have the oven on for the turkey or ham, you can put potatoes along side.  It might take a little more time if the oven is low.  Again, no need to rush them.




I hope you enjoy this recipe and make it as a tribute to my sweet mother-in-law.






I loved her and I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive