Monday, September 24, 2012

About Having a "Good" Time

Good morning everybody.  I am struggling today with a little...........self-esteem.......or maybe something else. 

I have another project started; one of the many projects I have started over the years.  This time I am making fall pillows, black with appliqued (by hand) felt leaves.  The closer I get to having one completed the more self doubt I have.  You see, I am a perfectionist in some regards.  If you'd take a look at my house, my yard, my closets, you'd certainly disagree.  I want the back side of my project to look at nice as the front, just in case someone happens to look closely or turn it over.  I strive for perfection and when I don't achieve it, I completely give up.  That is what I am about to do with these pillows.

Until............my hubby comes in to reassure me.  After all, it really isn't about the end product, it is the fun you are having he tells me.  Rather than wait for someone to ooh and aw over my pillows why not just enjoy the process.  He says, "Did it give you a "good" feeling when the idea came into your head?  Did it give you a "good" feeling to pick out the flannel and all the pretty colors of felt for the leaves?  Did it give you a "good" feeling to hunt for the perfect embroidery thread?  Did it give you a "good" feeling to prep the fabric?  Did it give you a "good" feeling to stitch rather than be on the computer?"  The answer to all these questions is a resounding YES.  OK, you know he really didn't say those exact quotes, but it was close.  I used a little poetic liscense.

So I guess the bottom line is it really doesn't matter what you do with a completed project.  It doesn't even matter if you complete a project.  It doesn't matter if you are working a crossword puzzle or a jigsaw puzzle.  It doesn't matter if you are baking a loaf of bread or painting your finger nails green.  You just need to be doing something you enjoy............even if it is typing a blog...........and by the way, it is one of the most enjoyable things I do..........even if nobody ever reads it........I do it for myself........and regardless of whether anybody ever says a word of encouragement, I do it for myself.

And here are a few of my projects in the last............mmmmmmmmmmm 40 years.

Making candles - 1972 - first year we were married we made candles...pouring molten wax over chipped ice.  I thought they were beautiful.

Using Plexiglas - 1972 - Faudree's in Sheppard Mall had unusual things embedded in Plexiglas, so we had to try our hand at that.

Crocheting - Mrs. Tucker taught me to crochet and surprisingly that is one thing I can do.  I haven't crocheted in years, but I know it would come back to me naturally.

Quilting - Karen, a friend from work, quilted so nothing do, but I must try it too.  So off we went together to pick me out some fabric.  I had some beautiful animal print fabrics that I was going to use for a simple quilt.  I cut out all the squares only to realize I did not have a passion or desire to finish the quilt.  I gave all the squares to her.  I hope she was able to do something with them.

Sewing - I have a love/hate relationship with sewing.  My mother, my sister and her two daughters, and my sister-in-law are extraordinary seamstresses.  By that I mean that they have sewn pageant costumes, draperies, linens, dresses, even underwear.  Me, on the other hand, have sewn only to save a buck or two over the years.  I do not have the patience to be a great seamstress.  Nonetheless, I have sewn clothing for myself and my daughter including a prom dress covered in sequins.  I have even sewn some curtains and bed coverlets.  In times of need...............

Crewel - Just something to keep my hands busy in the late 70s and early 80s.  They are just dust traps, but it was fun when I did them.  Would you believe I see some of these same dust traps in antique stores today.  Who knew?

Embroidery - Now I really enjoy this hobby.  I made a Christmas tablecloth in the 70s from an embroidery kit.  I still use it today although it really looks like a period piece.  A couple of years ago I hand embroidered the 7-day week dish towels for my daughter.  Loved doing that.  These days there machines that embroider beautifully, but I still love the hand stitched look.  Something nostalgic about them and they just show love, to me at least.

Making aprons - I had fun making a dozen aprons year before last, but I bored of them quickly.  I still have a stash of fabric probably worth over $200.  Now......hmmmm......what to do with that fabric.  Pillows????

Making pillows - Latest project.  I will snap a picture of the outcome...........or maybe it will just be the process and not the finished project.

Making Christmas decorations - How many Christmas projects have I done?  Dozens....anything from painted wooden ornaments to crocheted ornaments, Christmas tree skirt I made in 1972 which I still use although the green felt has bled onto the other felt appliques (water from the Christmas tree - memories), the tablecloth, and last but certainly not least, the appliqued and stuff Mickey and Minny Mouse which will someday belong to my son and daughter....Mickey for my son and Minny for my daughter. 

Photography - I love to take pictures, but I am not a photographer.  If you want to see some beautiful photography go on over to www.juliedawkinsphotography.com  I am happy to be related to this beautiful photographer (by marriage).  Who knows, you might even see some photographs of her (their) beautiful family.  And while you are at it, take a look at http://405photograph.zenfolio.com/ and see some nice shots of an aspiring photographer.  I might be a little prejudice, but I like his compositions.  And you know what...............it is like I said (or the hubby), it isn't about the end product, it is about having a "good" time.  

I love you all..........my readers and my non-readers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive