Monday, February 4, 2013

God Made a Farmer

And so on the eighth God made a farmer.

I don't know if anybody but me had tears in their eyes when the Dodge commercial ran late into the last half of the Super Bowl, but I did.  In fact, I have cried openly this morning when I played it from YouTube.  God made a farmer.

I doubt many people will feel the emotion of this little two-minute speech unless you lived it.  My parents lived it and as a result I lived it.  The long hours, the rushed meals so that they could jump back on the tractor to plow that last two acres before dark, the hopes, the dreams, the prayers........oh the prayers!!, the sighs when a cow or calf didn't make it, the smiles when a crop made good, the gratitude..........God made a farmer.

How many times over the years have you made fun of people who were not urbanites..........the rural people?  How many times do you completely ignore the stock barns at the fair?  How many times have you seen a dusty car and were appalled rather than envisioned a farmer on a dusty country road?  Not all roads are paved.......I know, I lived it.  How many times have you seen little boys with their pressed plaid shirts tucked neatly in their pressed jeans, their belts cinched tightly, their cowboy boots and hats, all neat and trim, and thought them to be just a little bit of a hick?  God made a farmer.

And the peanut butter in your pantry, or the lettuce in your refrigerator, how many times have you even wondered where they came from.  Oh sure, you might have noticed that they were a product of Mexico, but the American products, do you really appreciate or understand the complexity of getting that the food from seed to your plates?  And for you that don't already know, peanuts and wheat (and cows..........let's not forget the cows) are what mom and dad, and Robert, and Kay, and Brenda, and Rhonda, and even I, raised.  You see, if you are a farmer even your kids are farmers.  Mom and Dad both have said that we kids were part of the success of their farm.  God made a farmer.  

I don't know how the Dodge commercial will be accepted by our nation; maybe forgotten by tomorrow.  Maybe, however, it will awaken us.  Maybe it is time for a little respect for our rural people, the farmers and ranchers of our nation.  Maybe the commercial will hit a nerve as to how valuable our Amercan farmers are to us as a nation, as individuals..............they are the ones who feed us...........you, ME!!!  God made a farmer.

Of course, nobody but Paul Harvey could have delivered this with the same impact so here it is.  I hope you take opportunity to listen.  And thanks to our farmers.  And thanks Dodge for delivering a great, poignant commercial...one that put tears in my eyes, one that made me think of Mom and Dad..............God made a farmer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

I love you!!!

2 comments:

  1. One of my happiest memories was when it was raining really hard. The "waterfall" where the drive circled around was flowing. Daddy was out in the front yard whoooping and hollering and doing a rain dance. He was just so glad to see the rain! Pure joy. I remember like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason I love the rain so very much has to do with how it affected Daddy. Thanks so much for your comment, Rhonda.

      Delete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive