Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Mother's Backless Shoes

I've had my coffee.  Had my Pinterest.  Now to get busy.  But first.............

Have you seen all the shoe pictures on Pinterest?  I love them.  I have even pinned a couple of them over the months.  This morning a memory came back to me...........long forgotten, but a sweet little memory. 

Mom had the prettiest suede black backless shoes (were they called mules?) that she saved back for special occasions.  I don't ever remember her wearing them at all, but I am sure she must have.  With five little ones under age 8, wearing pretty high heels was probably not a priority.  When I was about 8, I discovered them.  To me they were the sexiest shoes in the world, but at 8 I had no idea what the word sexy meant.  In fact, I hadn't even heard the word.  I sure knew those shoes were beautiful.............and movie stars wore them.  I remember they were suede, I remember they were black, I remember they were backless, I remember they were kind of pointy toes.  I remember they were beautiful!  I remember trying them on, several sizes to big, but I felt so pretty in them and dreamed of one day wearing them for real.  Sadly, when I was old enough to finally wear them, they had disappeared.

Do you remember your first pair of high heels?  I do!  Mine were white, extremely high, probably 4 inch heels with pointy toes.  Pumps they were called.  I had to practice walking in them.  I was in the 9th grade and had made National Honor Society...........how that happened, I will never know. 

Over the years, I have had some very pretty shoes.  I even had the first pair of square toed shoes of anybody I knew.  I was the height of fashion.  I have had several pairs of backless shoes and have a couple of broken toes to prove it, but I have never had a pair of shoes that were even remotely beautiful as my mothers backless shoes.

I love you.

Another memory.  About the same time as I discovered mom's shoes, I was wearing little Mary Jane shoes.  I can remember thinking how "grown-up" I was when I got my first pair of black patent shoes which had a strap could be turned back to the back of the shoe.  Remember those?  Now I had a pair of grown-up shoes without a strap.  Grown woman, I was!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive