Thursday, July 10, 2014

Concert in the Park

Tonight we did something we rarely do anymore.  We went to a concert in the park; not just any concert.........a big band concert.  While the music was just ok, the moment was nice.  The 80 degree temperatures with a slight breeze made for a delightful time.  What made it more delightful was just knowing that park was still being used.  Kids on scooters, young adults biking, football practice, picnics, dogs being walked, snow cones, walkers, runners...........and all sorts of other venues.


We used to go to outdoor concerts every week; our little kids in tow.  We'd spread our blankets out and break out the picnic baskets and treats and wait for the music to begin.  I have a fond memory of the man over under that tree at Mount Saint Mary's dancing alone; his left arm up around his imaginary lady's shoulders and his right around her waist.  I would love to have known his story for he reminded me of my own father.  Was he a World War II vet?  Was he a widower?  Was he dreaming of the imaginary lady?  Or was he just enjoying the music?  He didn't even know anybody was watching.........but I was.  It was a beautiful poignant sight and filled me with a lump in my throat.............watching him and his imaginary lady..............and that lump is in my throat just recalling him again.


Another memory for me was dancing with my youngest nephew back in the early 80s.  We were at a Prairie Home Companion show that was being broadcast from an Edmond park.  My nephew was just a little baby and the music was lively so I couldn't help myself.  I remember the spontaneity of jumping up and grabbing that sweet baby and bouncing him around a bit.  I dare not use the word dance.  I think we all use a baby now and again just to do something that we'd otherwise not do. 


I don't recall all the individual concert venues, but the memories of snapping open the blanket, the picnics, the sodas, the treats for the children, the laughter, the dancing of toddlers around our blanket, the sleepy kids staring at the evening stars...............those have jelled into the most beautiful concert of all.


I hope my children remember those good times for I sure do.  I hope they have fond memories of their childhood.  I hope their memories are as good as the ones I recall..............even if we never got them a McDonald's Happy Meal. 


I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive