Friday, May 20, 2011

Rain Water

Last night we got a much needed rain. One gauge said 6.94 inches while another read 9.1. There is a discrepancy somewhere, but nonetheless, we got a lot of rain. As we walked around our property today, the yard was full of clear, and some not so clear, rain puddles, it brought back sweet memories of my Grandma Dawkins.

My grandmother used to wash her hair with rain water she collected in the large galvanized tub at the corner of her back porch. That tub sat in that same spot for the 23 years she was part of my life which was the day she died. If the water wasn't fresh she would have to skim off debris. She always thought rain water made her hair softer. For some reason I remember washing my hair at her house quite a bit. Looking back I don't really understand why I would be at her house washing my hair, but I was. She had many ways of teaching me things and probably she was demonstrating how soft my hair would be and then it just became a ritual, besides she only lived 1/2 mile from us. She would pour a little warm water over my head as I leaned over a small white enamel basin with red trim. With a tiny bit of shampoo (green Prell - remember the pearl?) she would wash my head till we had plenty of suds. Enough suds to form pointy sculptures. I can almost feel her arthritic fingers massaging my head. (This was not a rushed shampoo and now I realize the word would be therapeutic). I'd squeeze my eyes tightly as she'd pour more warm water over my hair to rinse out all those suds. This was followed by a vinegar rinse which Grandma thought was needed to strip out shampoo buildup and to make our hair squeaky clean. I don't know if that is a fact or not, but we did it. I do remember my hair having a squeak when it was wet so I believe her to this day. Another Grandma'ism was to use cold water on the last rinse. It was supposed to make the hair shiny. Believe that? I still try using cold water on my hair right before stepping out of the shower - it will wake you up!

When I was a little older, the tables turned and I started washing her silver hair. Her hair was much coarser than mine or my own mom's. She wore her hair short in the back, but long enough on the sides and top to put in a few rollers to give her some body. Her hair would be completely dry in just a few minutes and then she would let me style it - combed back on top with a couple of curls on each side of her temples - such pretty hair. I remember her hair line and how it was much closer to her eyes and eyebrows than mine. I had almost forgotten that feature until I saw my niece with the same hairline. Funny, huh, two generations later?

Something else Grandma taught me was to brush my hair 100 strokes every night before I went to bed. I did this as a child, but now this is a big no-no as it causes hair to be oily. Sorry Grandma.

My grandmother was one of the prettiest women I have ever seen, but her sweet nature was what endeared me to her. She is very well thought of by her grandchildren and I hate it that my kids never knew her. Someday I will tell you more Grandma Dawkins stories.

1 comment:

  1. I still rinse my hair with cold water. Wish I got the chance to meet her too.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive