Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Laugh Today at Your Own Expense

Oh my gosh, it is hot out there. I think I will use that as my excuse for not writing last night. Just too hot to hold the lap top. That sounds like a very good excuse. 110 degrees on my thermometer.

Remember that picture of my mom from Sunday night's blog, the one where she is trying desperately not to open her mouth? As I told you, mom was reserved when it came to laughing. That is not to say she didn't have a sense of humor, it was that she reserved her huge belly laughs for special occasions.

One time, a long time ago, when my kids were small, mom, dad, hubby, and my two little ones went to Branson, MO. Mom and Dad took each one of their adult children and their families to Branson at one time or another, and we each have a favorite Branson story. A month ago, I repeated my Branson story to my family as we were setting outside after a delicious "lake" meal -- not a 110 degree day either. Most of them had heard this story, but some had forgotten. At any rate, it still got a belly laugh out of us because of Mom's reaction. If you knew Mom, then you will understand how funny this story is. If you didn't know my mom, perhaps you will just find a little humor (at my expense).

When we were traveling and in a hotel room with our little ones asleep in the other bed, I tried to be very discrete when I got ready for bed. I slipped my nightgown over my head and used it as a sort of dressing room. Removing my top clothing was proving a little difficult, but I finally made it. Whew! Now to remove my jeans and underclothes. Oh, this was simple. I just have to slip under the covers and whip them off in one smooth operation. Okay, maybe not a smooth, one step operation, but I got them tugged off. Now, what to do with my clothes? Since I am prepared to go to the emergency room at any moment, and since most emergency room visits are in the middle of the night, then I must put my clothes where they will be the most accessible. In this case, they needed to be on the floor, draped out as if I had literally evaporated out of them while laying prone on the floor. So, to my thinking, I would be able to leap out of bed, grab them and off we could go to the emergency room. Can you guess how many times I have had to go to the emergency room at all let alone the middle of the night where time was of the essence? Yep, NONE! But nonetheless, I must be prepared. Well, no emergency room visit was needed that night. Yea!

The next morning I grabbed my jeans and clean underwear and tore off to the shower. Daddy liked his breakfast so we were to meet them in about 30 minutes and I had two little ones to get ready, pack, and meet my parents at the car, ready for the day. My jeans were clean or clean enough for me. I think one can get several days out of a pair of jeans before they can stand on their own, especially when traveling, don't you?

Wow, we made it to the car in time. We drove to the Gingham Goose (oh, now you know you are in Branson with a name like that, huh?) restaurant which served a delicious breakfast buffet. Remember the breakfast buffets in the 80s? Thinking about that much food for breakfast is sickening to me these days. We had many vacation driving trips tanking up on breakfast buffets and heading out. Ugh, momma, I don't feel good. Do we have to take this curvy road??? Ugh.... Mom, I am so sick. Stop the car! (Guess who that was?)

Anyway back to the breakfast. With my plate full overflowing I returned to the table, ready to chow down. Mom has her plate full, too, but as she returns to the table she notices something - something under the table, so she pulls back to see. She leans over and whispers to me that there is a pair of panties on the floor. This has me curious, so I have to take a look, too. I have a huge grin on my face as I lean to her to explain that those were my panties on the floor and how they got there. Yes, there on the floor for the whole place to see was my underwear from the night before (I did have on clean underwear, for Pete's sake). Mom absolutely lost it. She started laughing out loud, cackling, to the point of embarrassing my dad. She couldn't even catch her breath. Gasping for air she tried to explain to dad that she would tell him later what she was laughing at. Hubby was looking at me so strangely and dad was furrowing his brows. Neither of them could imagine what we were laughing at. I guess these panties had been creeping out of my jeans and dusting the floor as I was plating up tons of scrambled eggs and bacon -- for the world to see.

I tell you this because Mom's picture reminded me of how much she enjoyed my tribute to stripping in a public place and embarrassingly I relived the same experience just last week only this time I was at home and nobody was the wiser. Well, I guess now everybody in the world knows because I have so many followers. Laugh today even if it is at your own expense!

2 comments:

  1. Just read this and laughed out loud; sounds like something that would happen to me. Hope you keep up the writing..... Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Surprised to see your comment. Thanks. I was sure it was from Shawna.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive