Friday, March 27, 2015

Stay Safe. Stay Prepared.

With the tornado still fresh on my mind, I thought I'd jot down a few things for you and me to remember.  We here in Oklahoma usually have days to prepare for a tornado.  They don't know for sure if a tornado will actually form, but the weather predictors can foresee favorable conditions for the possibility of tornadoes.  Here are a few things to think about in preparation for an upcoming tornado event.


1.  Make sure you have a plan of shelter.  You might have to take shelter away from your home or you might even need to take shelter in your closet or in your bathtub.  You might have your own shelter at home or your neighbor might take you in.  If your neighbor has offered their shelter, then find out in advance where the key is in case they aren't home.  It is tornado season right now so make sure your shelter is not filled with junk and that the door can be easily opened.


If watches are in your area, then make sure your children are within shouting distance.  As we saw the other evening, some tornadoes happen very suddenly.  Make sure your children, too, know your shelter location.


2.  If you have a shelter, make sure the city knows it in case they have to rescue you.


3.  Keep your phone charged.  Don't head to your shelter and find that your phone is at 18%.  Have it in your pocket at all times during alerts.  You don't want to be hunting for it on your way to your shelter.


4.  Flashlight.  Have a charged flashlight at the ready or in your safe spot.  If you have a metal room, maybe you can find a magnetic flashlight and put it just inside the door.  It wouldn't hurt to have a small LED light in your pocket as well as a larger one.  You might even stock your shelter with a hand crank flashlight just in case your batteries run out.  Same goes for a radio.


5.  Water.  Make sure you have fresh drinking water in your shelter just in case you, God forbid, are sheltered in place for quite some time.  Same goes for a candy bar.  I'm not saying stock it for the millennium, but a couple of candy bars might calm the kids.  If you're going to a neighbors house for safety take them a case of water for their shelter at the beginning of tornado season. 


6.  Make sure you have on clothes that are comfortable in case the weather suddenly gets colder and it always does after a tornado.  Think ahead.  Prepare yourself for the possibility of a disaster.  Do you want to be sifting through rubble in a pair of short shorts and flip flops? 


It just makes sense to me to change into fairly decent jeans, shirt, and shoes when the alerts are in my area.  You might think this is a bit silly, but I also put on some of my nicer pieces of jewelry--those I know I would never replace.  So what if I have on 8 pendants tucked under my blouse?  It would be better than trying to dig through the rubble for your mom's wedding ring.  Just put it on.  Monday evening knowing the storms were coming, I just changed into my nicer jeans and tennis shoes.    

7.  Shoes.  This mom is going to suggest tennis shoes or hard sole shoes for the exact reason as number 6.  Do you want to be running in flip flops?  And if you have children, make sure they have their shoes on and laced.  No last minute "I can't find my shoes."


8.  Purse or wallet.  Make sure you know exactly where your purse is.  If you have extra cash around the house, you might want to, temporarily at least, put it in your wallet.  If your place is destroyed, that extra cash might come in handy until the insurance comes through.


The other night the weather alerts told us the storm was near Tinker so we then started to wonder if we should run to safety at one of our neighbors.  It was at that point that I put my crossbody handbag over my head just in case we made a dash for safety.  I wore it in the house for probably 30 minutes, but I would have it if we needed to leave immediately.


9.  Dog and leash.  If you are taking your dog to your shelter, prepare ahead of time.  Get the leash handy.


10.  Meds.  If you have meds you cannot live without, why not stash a couple doses in your pocket.


11.  Kids --  Now I know those kids will be number one on your list, but you also might want to have ready anything that will make them a little less anxious.  I am specifically thinking of their favorite blanket or their go to doll or stuff animal.  Shelters, cellars, etc, can be scary places especially when you add in all the TV weatherman dramatics.


This is just a list of things that have crossed my mind lately.  Your list might be a short one.  Just be prepared in a common sense sort of way.  If you don't have a shelter and events are stacking up for the big disaster event like Moore, 2013, you might consider leaving town for a night...somewhere out of the "watch" area.  In that case, gas up your car prior to actually needing to leave and leave in plenty of time to avoid the traffic of those doing the same as you.


Advice from your over protective mom.


I love you.  Stay safe.  Stay prepared. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive