Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Santa says, "Trick or Treat!"

How do you know when it is getting close to Halloween?  After the Christmas decorations have been up for a couple of weeks, that's when!  Seriously, do they go up earlier every year?  Nope, they do not.  We like to think they do because we like to gripe about it (senior citizens get a free pass when it comes to griping), but as far back as I can remember, and kids I can remember when I was 2 years old!!, the artificial Christmas trees go up right after the back to school mania wanes.  And by the way while I am griping, why do the kids have to see back to school commercials at the end of June? 

Regardless of how early Christmas decorations are displayed, Halloween seems to be getting its fair amount of attention.  Can it be that in the last ten years, Halloween decorations, food ideas, costumes, and parties have grown ten fold?  It sure seems that way to me.  One day last week I heard that Halloween is the new Christmas in so far as how it affects our pocketbooks.  Sorry to say, my little goblins, that isn't true for me.  I buy you one five-pound bag of good candy bars early in October.  I have to buy that much to fill up my traditional trick or treat bowl -- part of my October decorations.  Bad mistake!  Bad mistake!  Too easy to grab a piece once in a while, like........hmmm.....OK I admit it, five times a day.  By the night of Halloween, I usually have half a bowl of candy left for my 0 (ZERO) Trick or Treaters.  That's right.  We have no Trick or Treaters.  My grandboys used to come when they were smaller, but when they realized that they could trick or treat in their own neighborhood and gets lots more candy, Nana's was out. 

Even though nobody comes to our house, by about 5:00 I start to get excited.....I light my jack-o-lantern, put the candy bowl by the door, light my pumpkin spice candles, and keep my porch light on.  And wait....     

Now I think I will start griping about how Thanksgiving gets the short end of the stick.  (Do you know where "short end of the stick" comes from?)

Santa says, "Trick or Treat!"         
   
Fact:  Midwest City's lights are up right now...not lit, but up ready to turn on.  As much as I like to gripe about it, I kind of like it, too.  It is my favorite holiday, with Thanksgiving right behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive