Saturday, May 26, 2012

Simple Things

Joy "you may just find it in the rhythm of chopping vegetables, the sizzle of the iron, or the warming rays of the summer sun".  I wish I could take credit for these words, but I cannot.  They were written by the editor of "SOUTHERN LADY" magazine, Andrea Fanning, May/June 2012 edition.  When I read these words this afternoon, I knew they would be my blog post for the night.  Simple words, huh?  Chopping vegetables?  Sizzle of the iron?  Warming rays of summer sun?  Simple things, but do you think they bring you joy?

A few weeks back I wanted to write about the happiness I felt while I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets that morning.  It seemed kind of silly at the time ~ writing about cleaning out my cabinets, but after reading the editor's words I realized I wasn't the only person who gets such joy from simple things.  It was dark and raining outside on my "happy" morning.  With the aroma of my morning coffee still lingering in the air, I was in my zone and in my coffee buzz.  A perfect morning as far as I am concerned; a morning for which I longed while I was working; a perfect retirement morning.  I felt joy!
Everything seemed so right with the world even though many worries were trying to crowd my mind.
If you have read my posts, you know that I love to iron.  I love the immediate gratification of seeing those wrinkles vanish right before my eyes.  It brings me joy.  Mowing the lawn (on the ZTR, of course) gives me lots of time to think, to remember, to dream, to plan.  It brings me joy.  Washing dishes, a chore I detested when I was a child, is now a chore that brings me joy and also time to think.

What brings you joy?  I hope that you have some simple things that just make you happy.  It is not all about the prettiest clothes, the great hairdo, the beautiful new car, or the biggest house.  Maybe it is the morning sun beaming down on your head, or maybe like the editor said, "the rhythm of chopping vegetables".  These simple things may bring back memories, or perhaps you are making new memories, but try to find the joy in them.  Look for it.

I love you.  Wishing you Simple Things.  Got any ironing for me to do?  

 

2 comments:

  1. Regina, I love, love, love to read your blog. Your writings take me back also. You are indeed a great writer. So talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy. I love it when someone comments. I am not sure if anybody ever reads them. I was thrilled when I saw your comment and thank you so much for the kind words.

      Delete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive