Thursday, May 31, 2012

To Cursive or Not to Cursive


Will handwriting play any part in our grandchildren's lives?  There is a push to eliminate cursive from our schools' curriculum.  How sad.  How will they sign for anything, but then again, will there be a need?  We can already move money from account to account electronically so just think what the next 20 years will bring?

I have saved a special box of letters and cards from my friends and family for years because I thought the content might someday give my children and grandchildren a sense of what their grandmother and other relatives were like.  It has only been in the last year that I have come to appreciate their handwriting.  I can open my special box, see a certain handwriting and immediately memories abound.  I can look at a recipe card and know whose recipe it is.  Just this week I received a letter from my cousin and the first thing I noticed was her handwriting for it was just the same as it was in 1958.   

I am not here to tell you that I expect the handwriting of my mom to mean anything to my grandchildren, for they never knew her.  My son and daughter, however, hold those memories..........the memories of the cards that their grandmothers sent them..........the cards with a $5 bill, the cards filled with Valentine candy, all signed I love you.  Grandma....their grandma's handwriting.  Now I think about what my own grandchildren will remember.  Since they live close, I fail to send them cards for I will see them on those special occasions.  Will they remember my handwriting?  Will their grandchildren remember theirs?  That certainly is in doubt in this day of texting and emailing - very impersonal.          


There may be a push to eliminate cursive, but that doesn't deter my grandson from learning.  Today he spent an hour practicing the curve of every letter.  He will have a heads up when he enters third grade whether they teach cursive writing or not.               

That is enough of my ranting for one night.  Thanks for indulging me, but the next time you think about sending someone an e-card, think also about sending them a card through the post.  It really means a lot to the receiver that you would take the time and effort to find a card  just for them (and I guarantee it will definitely surprise them)....who knows they may save it for a long, long time.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive