Thursday, December 20, 2012

And the Conversation Went Like This

Went to Cracker Barrel this morning and the conversation went something like this:

Me:  I really worry about some very strange things.

Him:  What are you worried about now?

Me:  I woke up this morning worried that Santa was going to leave the boy's new basketball goal outside for the boys to find.  I am afraid someone will steal it.

Him:  Yes, that is really something to worry about.  Have you thought to worry about the skunk that might find his way into the net and get trapped?  Have you thought about worrying whether the wind would blow the goal over and kill the cat?  Oh......and here's one you probably will really worry you.  What if  the boys do not have a basketball and what if Santa forgets to leave one?  Huh?   What good will a goal be without a ball?

Me:  I want to call Santa, but maybe I shouldn't. 

Him:  Well, no, you shouldn't!  Not only is it not your problem, it is none of your business.  You really like to be in control...............of other people's lives............., but you cannot make a decision whether to make candy or not make candy, whether to have bacon or ham with your eggs, whether to wear a coat or not...............  If only you could make decisions in your own life like you would like to control other peoples.

That gave me pause.  I have a very clear understanding of other people's lives and can see the mistakes that are bound to happen and I should run in there and clear things up before they get even more messed up.   I say this all in jest, but I do have a problem wanting to make everything right for everyone.  Lately, I am beginning to see that I cannot make everything right.  I cannot nor do I want to be in charge of your life despite how much I insert my opinion. 

Maybe my New Year's resolution should be that I will let you live without me worrying.

I love all you and wish you a very Merry Christmas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive