Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Meatloaf..........That's What's for Dinner Tonight

Meatloaf........that's what's for dinner tonight.  I don't know about you, but my meatloaf recipe isn't really a recipe.  I just pretty much start throwing in a dash of this and a dash of that and it comes out something like meatloaf.  If I had guts, I would taste the raw concoction just like Julia to tweak the spices...as I said, if I had guts.  I have no idea what mine is going to taste like until I serve it, but the hubby likes it every time.

One thing that is always a constant in my recipe is 'milk bread'.  I cube up my bread and soak in milk.  Tonight I didn't cube it, I just tore it apart.  You know what, it worked just fine and was a soft mushy mess, just like I like it.

While mixing up my meatloaf, I started thinking about all the little shortcuts that mom took.  I don't ever remember mom chopping, cubing, or dicing a thing, not even onions.  If she needed an onion chopped, she would hold the onion in her left hand and make cuts as she went along and the onion would fall right into the pan.  If she needed an onion diced, she would make the cuts even smaller.  If she made fried potatoes, she would hold the potato the same way, cutting down the length of the potato and then slice it right into the hot oil.......wait, it was either lard or grease.  We didn't worry about lard back then.  I remember her having a cutting board which hung from a lanyard near the range, but I don't remember her using it.   

Just a little note:  Mom had to make things stretch for her family of seven.  One of the ways to stretch ground beef is to add bread.  I didn't realized until after I married that adding bread to ground beef wasn't necessary.  Sometimes I wonder if today's generation will know how to be resourceful if times get tough.  Common sense seems to have left the building!!

Meatloaf............that's what's for dinner tonight.

I love you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive