Friday, May 27, 2011

My Old-Life Crisis



A week ago Wednesday, on our way to eat Mexican food, we started reminiscing about the great time we had at Yosemite when we rented a convertible. "It wouldn't be a bad thing if we just bought one and kept it for a while and we could vacation in it", said my hubby. Wow, that took me by surprise. I had not even thought of that. Wasn't even a blip on my radar screen.



The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea. Thursday through Saturday we looked at several around town, but nothing really hit my eye or our price range. We were both thinking of maybe a Mustang or Sebring, maybe a Saab. We never ever thought about a Jag because it just simply wasn't in our budget.




Saturday night we went to dinner with friends and on the way home, we saw this beauty setting on the side of the rode with a for sale sign. Hubby looked at me in the rear view and asked if I wanted to go back and take a look. Of course, we turned around and all four of us oohed and awed over this car. 36K miles on it and it looked show room clean. The asking price was a little up there, but nothing we couldn't afford. As I told a salesman earlier in the day, if it is exactly what I want, then I might be willing to pay more, but if not, the price will have to be such that what I want will be overridden by the value of a car. This was exactly the color combination I had told every salesman we encountered. It was and is too much car for this lady, but it is also something I am very proud of. It was a two owner car. The first owner was Mrs. Bob Moore, one of OKCs most prominent dealerships. She was an elderly woman so the car got kid glove treatment as you can well imagine. The second owner was a fastidious man who sold this after getting his new ride, a Dodge Viper, and getting his wife a new Lexus convertible. He had all the receipts and had it maintained and serviced regularly. In fact, once he decided to sell, he took the car in for inspection to make sure every detail was up to par. Our mouths dropped open when we asked his bottom dollar. It was almost too good to be true. There were so many factors that made us buy the car and of course, dropping the price was right up there along with the fact the hubby and the seller talked cars like they were old buddies.


I had trouble the first two day accepting the fact that 1) I deserved such a car, and 2) that we needed a car at all. This was after we bought it so you can imagine the turmoil I was in. Finally, last evening we took it out for an evening drive and today we drove to Prague and back. I can honestly say this is the best driving vehicle we have ever owned. Turning the corners reminds me of stirring pudding, smooth as silk. So, for now, we have decided to keep it a while. This may be my old-life crisis. My hubby thinks I deserve it for putting up with all his hobbies. hmmmmmmmm Maybe I do deserve a 2002 Jaguar XK8........nah, I doubt it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive