Monday, May 2, 2011

Regina's Oven Pot Roast

Yesterday, Sunday, it was cold and rainy. I couldn't think of anything more comforting that the smell of a pot roast cooking in the oven while I took my Sunday afternoon nap. My kids have asked me how I make this so this post is for them.


As you can see, this is a bone-in roast. I normally wouldn't buy one with a bone, but beggars can't be choosers. Also, you see all the fat? While the fat and bone really make a more flavorful roast, there is a lot of waste and unnecessary calories. But who is counting?








Take it cellophane off and leave the roast on the tray. Generously sprinkle pepper, onion salt, and flour. No need to use additional table salt since using onion salt.









Turn the meat over and repeat the seasoning. Here is a close up of how generous I was with seasoning.










Shawna this picture is for you. Spread that flour all over the meat with your hands. If you prefer you could put a cup of flour in a paper bag, drop your roast in, and shake it.








Heat about 2 tablespoons of canola or vegetable oil in a skillet (I always use cast iron for this.) Heat it until the oil starts to dance as in the picture. This is pretty hot and that is what you want, but you must watch it closely because it will start to smoke and burn. You do not want to use burned oil





Put the roast in the hot skillet and sear to dark golden brown, but be careful because you could easily burn yourself if the oil bubbles up.







Turn the roast over after it has seared to dark brown. Actually, the browner the better for the gravy. You should stay with the range while doing this because it can burn quickly. You may need to turn on the vent. This process is very messy and will spatter grease all over your range. Do NOT burn, just darkly sear.





Add about one cup water to the bottom of your cooking pot. Add the roast with the darkest side down. The roast has only seared so you will need to cook this in the oven at about 350 degrees; however, you can lower your temperature if you think it is cooking too quickly.





NOTE: I used my Pampered Chef stoneware. You could use the pot of your choice, but I like way stone bakes. Also, the darker the stain on the stoneware, the better.







Here is the cooked roast with all the delicious dark juice after about 3 1/2 hours. It was ready earlier, but I wasn't. I turned the oven down to 275 to cook the last hour.







Notice how the roast just falls apart. The bone just pulled right out.










This is Johnny's first plate. He loves my roast and cannot resist seconds. I will tell how to make the gravy in another post.






Look at my plate....love this pot roast, but cannot allow myself very much.



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive