Friday, May 13, 2011

Nurse Nightingale




Third day after sinus surgery and my husband is finally feeling a little better. Now that he is better, I can tell you that he has not been my ideal patient. I expected him to lay back and wait for me to bring his medicines on a regimented schedule. I was going to fix his meals on a tray, fluff his pillows, wipe his fevered brow so that I could be the sweet, cute little Florence Nightingale. I wanted to be the martyr; to answer the phone with an anxious, breathless voice when someone called. People must feel sorry for me because I am making all these sacrifices for my man. That did not happen. He didn't really want me to bother him. He slept in the recliner. He couldn't swallow so he would not take medicine on my demand. He had no appetite so I didn't get to fix him warm soup. He did not want pillows so no fluffing and he didn't want me to wipe his brow. He didn't even want the remote control. Oh woe is me! The martyr news is that I slept on the couch so that if he needed me I could hear him.




Oh yea, he is feeling better. I can now fix the meals he wants and he is thrilled when I put the tray in front of him. He is now responsible for his own medication regimen and he lets the dog in and out. He is rocking a little in the recliner and is no longer moaning in pain. He is coming back!!! I will have to find another way to be a martyr. Remind me to tell you about my mother and her sisters staying all day (6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) with their 100 year old mother every day while she was in the nursing home. Now I feel guilty.................

1 comment:

  1. Well you can come take care of us. I know what you mean though. I like taking care of Blaine when he is sick because he is so sweet but Logan is not fun. He is just mad and doesn't want anyone touching him.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive