Thursday, July 19, 2012

Garden Grove Grade School - Circa 1956

Here we are, zapped right back to about 1956.  Yep, except for the torn area, here are all the students of my grade school, 1st through 8th grades.....and you thought I was kidding.  Talk about one on one!

Starting with the top row, left to right, I will try to write a little something about each person....as I remember, and remember, these are my memories which may or may not be a little distorted after mmmmm oh my gosh, 55 years!  When did I grow up?

Mrs. Lickliter - my second through fourth grade teacher.  My first grade teacher was Mrs. Theisen (not sure if the spelling is correct).

Ella Lowe - the cook.  I will write a whole blog about her someday.

Mrs. Sutterfield - fifth through seventh grade teacher.  The school closed after my seventh grade and we went to Prague.  I hope I am correct on that.

Deryle - My cousin and sister to Karen.

Guess who?  (sister to Robert, first cousin to Karen, Deryle (on mom's side), and Danny and Jimmy (on my dad's side, second cousin to Peggy and Bobby)  I was in the third grade.  I could write a post about that dress......someday.

Chester - He had web toes and showed us, grossing out the girls.  (Grossing wasn't even a word in those days....funny how slang has changed....another blog.)  His sister stayed with us for a week when my littlest sister was born.

Judy (sister of Gilbert) - Pretty girl with red hair and freckles.  She gave a 4-H demonstration on wrapping presents.

Ricky (brother of Mike) - I remember him chasing us girls madly whirling a baseball bat over his head.  We had teased him and had to hide in the outdoor toilet...(another blog) because he was mad.  He was the ghost in A Christmas Carol.

Janice (sister of Joyce, cousin of Gary and Larry, Caroline and Gay Dawn) - She was older and I don't have many memories of her.

Gary (brother of Larry, cousin of Janice and Joyce, Caroline and Gay Dawn) - Not many memories - older.

Joyce (sister of Janice, cousin of Gary, Larry, Caroline, and Gay Dawn) - my childhood friend.  She lived with her grandparents at a little local store and always had Juicy Fruit chewing gum.....always!

Danny (brother to Jimmy and on his mother's side, a cousin to Gay Dawn and Caroline) - my cousin (our dads were brothers).  One day we decided to get off the bus at Sonya and Tonya's house to play.  No phones and when we just didn't show up at home, our parents had to trace the bus route to find us.  We were in t r o u b l e !! !!

Janelle (daughter to Mrs. Lickliter) - Not many memories of her, but her brother James was always a cut up on the bus.

Jimmy (brother to Danny, and on his mother's side, a cousin to Gay Dawn and Caroline) - my cousin (our dads were brothers).  When he was in high school, he danced on the local teen dance TV program.....all the way in OKC.  He was famous.  He goes by Jim these days.

Mike - my brother's only classmate.  He came home with my brother one day and they were playing with their BB guns.  I told them not to point their guns at each other.  They told me there were no BBs in the gun and proved it by shooting their guns in the mud.  Mike's had a BB......... 

Sonya (twin sister to Tonya) - How cool is it to have a twin?  I always thought she was the "pretty" one.

Caroline (sister to Gay Dawn, cousin to Joyce and Janice, cousin to Gary and Larry).

Peggy - my second cousin, and second cousin to Bobby, Jimmy and Danny - my dad and her mother were cousins.  She was the prettiest girl I ever saw and as pretty as she was, my grandmother thought her mother was prettier.

Bobby - my second cousin, and second cousin to Peggy, Jimmy, and Danny.  I remember him in a little play that was put on in the "little" room.  The play was in the little fenced portion that we called the library.  I was probably in the first grade which would have made him in the third grade.  He goes by Bob these days. 

Rachel - she was the daughter of the Garden Grove Church preacher whose last name was Tucker.  Not many memories of her, but she had an older brother.  When I was a little girl, I remember dreaming that I married him....don't ask me.  I didn't marry him, but I did marry a Tucker.  All these years later, I still remember that dream.

Gilbert - brother of Judy

Karen - sister of Deryle and my cousin.  She was so smart and she had a ton of pretty dolls that surrounded her room.  We gave several 4-H demonstrations together.

Larry - brother of Gary, cousin of Janice and Joyce, and Gay Dawn and Caroline.  He was in our 4-H play "Hiawatha" (???).

Gay Dawn - sister of Caroline, cousin and Gary and Larry, and Janice and Joyce.  Very quiet girl.

Mike - brother of Ricky.  He got to go to the Foreman Scotty TV show on his birthday and ride on the birthday horse, Woody.

Tonya - sister to Sonya.  Always the ornery twin.

Robert - my cute little brother and he is related to everyone that I am.  This is his first grade picture.  He had on a pale yellow shirt and had suspenders.  How cute was he???

I would love to know who was torn out of the photograph.  Burlan is one, but not sure about the others.  Of these approximately 28 children, six that I know of are no longer living.  As far as I know, Mrs. Sutterfield is still living, but Ella and Mrs. Lickliter are no longer with us.

Even though a lot of us were related in one way or another, not one of these students were as a result of cousins intermarrying.  Yeah, I know, you don't believe that either. 

I love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive