Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Just Another Day on the Homestead

Tonight setting on my porch swing, I am watching my grandsons devour a Luigi's Real Italian Ice while setting on the blanket in the front yard.  They tell me they are having a picnic (and why not?  Who says you have to have a complete meal?).  They are now at the age where they entertain themselves, playing Hide and Seek, I Spy, giggling, and making faces at each other as only little boys do....and I might add, making sounds that only little boys find funny.   It is nearly 8:00 p.m. and after an afternoon at the movies, popcorn, cokes, burgers at Braum's followed by a double dip ice cream for one and a banana split for the other, the ice may be a bit too much, but what else can a grandmother do besides spoil the little ones with everything they want to eat? 

It is hot tonight with little or no breeze.  The evening sounds of the crickets, katydids, and other insects are prominent with a side of my little boys' laughter.  We are in the long, hot, dog days of summer now and there is a certain essence about it.  For me it is the essence of long ago when summer seemed to last forever.  Although my grandsons may not realize it, their summer fun will soon be replaced by long school days, new friends, and the dreaded homework.  I am truly glad they do not know how quickly their summer will end.  I want them to experience the long languid days of summer without worry about what comes tomorrow for as long as they can.  They will realize how quickly summer comes to an end soon enough  These precious days..............

Early this morning (or as early as retired people get up), I froze a couple bags of basil pesto, and along with the help of my daughter, made 16 pints of salsa.  (The boys are now in the back of the truck with their grandpa giving them the ride of their lives.  I am so grateful that we have this little acreage for times such as these.  Hayride days are coming!)  Long summer days..... freezing pesto.....canning salsa....movies....popcorn....cokes (that can be any soda -- lived in Oklahoma a long time)....hamburgers....ice cream....Italian ice........just another day on the homestead.

I love you.......be back tomorrow to write a little about Garden Grove Grade School.  See you then.







    

2 comments:

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive