Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Cards

Good evening everybody.  Today we received our very first Christmas card of the season from my newly married niece and her husband.  It was so sweet.  I envied their "newness" if you know what I mean.  This is the first year for them to send out Christmas cards as a couple.  A beginning.  Every experience this year has been a new one.  First Thanksgiving as a married couple.  First Halloween as a married couple.  January 1 will be their first New Years as a married couple and the list goes on and on.  Each year will be stacked with experiences of the previous year until finally they are setting side by side celebrating their many years together.........and looking back at their beginning. 

Not as many people send Christmas cards anymore including me, and I am a traditionalist.  We are seem to be busier than ever.  Gosh, we have too many social media sources and Internet sites we must visit several times a day! 

Last night I was searching for something in the closet and I ran across this card.  It is from my first cousin, twice removed.......or..........my grandma's first cousin.  She was my dad's age and you know how confusing relatives can get when you mix in age differences.  And kids, this is my card not one of mom's that I confiscated.  Just in case you are wondering.

 
This sweet lady made her cards before making cards was cool.  She was a painter......oh I wish I had her talent or any talent for that matter.  I am still searching for my talent.  She would draw and water color a location that they had visited that year and have them printed as Christmas cards.  When I was a kid, we looked forward to her cards and daydreaming of our California cousins and all the exotic places that had visited that year.  Life was better in California, I was sure of that............I know better now, but back then it was other worldly, glamorous.............a long way from the farm and hoeing peanuts.  Later I began to send her Christmas cards myself and she, in kind, sent me one of her cherished cards.
 
 
Remember when you actually got a letter inside a card............
 

   
............and there was more on the back?
Times, they are a changing.

I need to write my cards........it's on my list.
 
Merry Christmas.
 
I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive