Monday, June 23, 2014

If I had a Home Away from Home

It has almost all I want out of life.........that being Red River, NM, my favorite spot on this earth.  My home away from home.  If we were there this morning, right now at this exact time--7:00 a.m. MT, we'd just be beginning to wake up.  I'd turn over and notice a slight glow coming through the bedroom window and the old white cotton curtains stirring just a little bit from the crisp, cool, mountain air.  It'd be just cool enough to want to snuggle under the covers for a few more minutes. 


There are things to do this morning so rouse myself and brace for the chilly bumps as I put my feet on the floor.  I notice the front room is glowing from the sunshine (with the help of the old gold drapes that have been there forever) and the shiny pine paneling.  Time to get this day started.  Out to the balcony I'd stumble to observe sunrise coming over the mountain.  The town is still in the shadow of the mountain, but the brightness of the sun illuminating the top of the ski slopes is almost blinding. 


Another day has begun in Red River.  The sleepy little town is coming alive.  In fact, I can see several cars at Shotgun Willy's.  Yes, breakfast AND COFFEE are being served as I type.  The Der Markt (yes, that is the correct spelling) is open for all the essentials you'd need if you were not going out for breakfast. Looking down the street, cars are parked at a few places indicating which businesses are open for breakfast.  Yes, the town is coming alive.


Just what will we do today?  Rent an off road vehicle and go up the mountain?  Walk around town and peek in the shops?  Drive over to Taos and have a nice lunch outside in the plaza watching the people go by, or maybe shop just a little in the old town?  Go see the Vietnam Memorial?  Go see the gorge?  Float down the river?  Oh so many things from which to choose.


It really doesn't matter what we do for it is all good.  You can have your sandy beaches, but for me I will take my mountain home away from home.......IF I HAD A HOME AWAY FROM HOME.


I love you.


Clear, with a high near 75, and a chance of afternoon showers.  What's not to love when it is 105 in Oklahoma today.  No, that is not today's forecast, but we have been there when it was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive