Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Just Plain Toast

I have been under the weather lately, but I feel so much better that I want to blog again.  I seem to thinking of food a lot so maybe I will blog about food this month.  Let's see, we could talk about corn, pizza, cheesecake, candy apples, ribs, coleslaw, fish tacos, or my all-time favorite - tomatoes.  So that I don't overdose so early in the month on the GOOD food, I am going to start real slow and talk about toast.  Who else but me would write a blog about toast??


For the last several days, I have been having toast for breakfast.  Toasted croissants, that is.  Split open and toasted in the toaster oven.  Buttered after toasting of course, because we all know that there isn't enough butter in these things already.  Yesterday, I decided to mix it up and add a slice of toasted white bread to my toasted croissant order.  I used a regular pop-up toaster and buttered it when it was golden brown.  You know what I discovered?  I like white bread probably a little more than I like the croissants.  French bakers everywhere are gasping right now, I am sure.


I think it all stems from childhood when I would stay with my Grandma Thompson and she'd fix toast in a pop-up toaster.  We didn't have a toaster so having that kind of toast was always a special treat.  My mom buttered the bread first and then put it under the broiler till the butter melted.  I am not going to tell you that it wasn't good.  It was and with all that melted butter (margarine) how could it not be?  But when I went to my grandma's house, that golden, crispy, white bread was the best toast ever, a special treat.  To this day, if I am sick all I want to eat is a piece of toast made in the pop-up toaster, just ask my hubby.


My mom had a toast every morning for her breakfast.  That's it.  Just one toast.  Mom had very little time to herself, but there was an or so after daddy left for work and before she got us up for school.  Her little special time of the day.  She'd butter her white bread and put it under the broiler.  I like to imagine that hot soft, buttery bread was a special treat for her to have during her most likely only "me" time. 


Kids, remember mom's stove and the broiler under the oven.  It was covered with foil for easier cleaning.  Mom would put 6 or 8 slices of bread in to toast while she'd fry the eggs and it'd be one of our jobs to watch it to make sure it didn't burn. 


Just plain toast, please.


I love you.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive