Monday, September 28, 2015

Do You Know What the Best Part of My Day is?

031

My grandchildren and me—Mother’s Day 2015

This afternoon, Logan, next to me on my right (the little guy), called me.  He didn’t  have to say three words before I knew he had some exciting news.  He told me he lost the tooth that he’d been working on for a while.  In fact only yesterday he had me wiggle the tooth, but it just wasn’t quite ready to come out.  He knew that I would be as excited as he was because we’d worked on it together.  If I understood him in his excitement, his friend on the bus accidently hit the tooth and out it came, but somehow the other little boy also got hurt and was bleeding, too.  He told me that the other little boy said he was ok even though he was bleeding.  He said, “It would make me sad if he was hurt.”

And that isn’t all that made his day exciting.  He’d made 90 on his AR test (reading).  WAHOO!  I’d promised him a special reward at the end of the year if he read 5 books over his yearly AR goal and now he is one book closer to that reward.   

Then, be still my heart, he said this:  "Do you know what's the best part of my day is? It is when you answered the phone. I didn't think you'd answer."   I can’t even begin to tell you how much this touched me. 

Logan needed to share his excitement with me.  He wanted a personal conversation with his grandmother at the exact moment of his joy.  He needed me to answer.  He needed to hear my voice and my excitement to mimic his own. 

I have seen so many people receive a phone call and deliberately not answer the call.  How many people just needed to hear your voice, needed you to be as excited as they were?  That call is gone, but next time you start to ignore a call, think about the person on the other end.  Think of their needs…..are they needing a hug, are they needing to hear your voice.  “Do you know what the best part of my day is?” 

I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive