Friday, September 25, 2015

I Love Rural Roads

I love rural roads.  We went driving today--out on the more rural Oklahoma highways.  For me, it is good to get away from the city once in a while; there's something about getting off the interstate and seeing those farms up close that fills me with a calmness that I just can't find in OKC. 


Town after town had a uniqueness that I wanted to capture and blog about, but there was one town, Paoli, that gave me pause for thought, and, of course, memories.  Paoli had only one small church that I noticed with a sign out front that we are having a fish fry tonight.  As small as the town was, I was kind of envious of their lifestyle.  They're having this little fish fry right about now and everyone in town will be invited.  I was envious that each person there tonight will know everyone else.  I was envious that the parents will feel comfortable enough to let their children run and play out doors.  There will be small talk, laughter, and then there's the fish. 


I was envious because they are living my memories.  My memories of having church socials, and how safe I felt running around the church in the evening in my little dress that tied in the back.  How exhausted and tired we all were on the short ride home with the windows down, dust flying--mom and dad and five little kids crammed into the car without regard to seatbelts. 


Idealistic????--maybe.  You are thinking that I look back with rose colored glasses.  I probably do, but isn't it wonderful that I actually do think of my childhood as pleasant rather one of disdain.  So, Paoli church, I hope you had a wonderful evening with your friends and your children.  I hope you rode home with the windows down, but with your children buckled up.

I love you.  I love rural roads.


There were so many other wonderful moments on our trip today that brought a lump in my throat.   The Model T we saw and wondered about the person who restored it and if they were having as much fun as we were in our convertible.  


One town was completely inundated with posters about tonight's football game and I wondered if their high school band was going to play the fight song as they marched down the halls to draw the kids out of class for a pep rally--just like dear old Prague High School did back in the day--"intestinal fortitude" as coach always alluded to in EVERY rally. 


Almost every town we went through on our way to Sulphur, OK, had a BBQ restaurant with a smoker billowing in preparation for their Friday customers. 


The dry grasslands getting crunchy from lack of rain; the cattle gathered under the trees for shade; the trees not quite ready to turn are beginning to take on that look of fall.  All in all, a very peaceful, calming day............reminding me so much of my childhood and thoughts of the holidays ahead.  You see, even I can't always look back.  We have to look forward and realize that happiness if what WE make it.  Let's make some happiness.   






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive