Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Music

Hi friends, 
 
I have had a wonderful day despite how it started; shaken awake by a 5.6 earthquake.  Wow, that will put you on your feet in a matter of seconds.  At the onset I thought the hubby was getting up, but I couldn't figure out the abrasive sound of someone wadding up plastic sheeting.  We both jumped up and ran to the window where we saw the outside umbrella really swaying.  At that point we both said "earthquake" and ran to the living room where we confirmed it by the swaying of cords inside the house.  Wasn't long before the local channels were delivering the news of this 5.6 quake.  Not fond of earthquakes and a little afraid............this coming from a girl living in tornado alley. 
 
So many posts to write about all stemming from my awesome day, but tonight I want to talk about all the old music and musicians.  Yes, you know it, I am watching PBS and their fund drive.  They may not have this on any other time of the year, but they have it tonight and I am reliving my life, my Saturday nights, through this music.  The younger years that is.
 
It is almost comical that some of the featured rock and roll artists from my day are so aged.  How times flies......  One of these days, this music--my music--will disappear.  Already, it is hard to find on the radio.  KOMA used to be the station, but yesterday when I was in the car, the music was more for my daughter's generation which, despite her denying it, is now 20 years old........
 
Tonight I thought it would be fun to list some of the musicians that will be disappearing soon, some already gone.  So off the top of my head here are some that I remember.  See if you remember any of these.  Can you name any of their hits?  I will help you out on some.
 
  • The Bellany Brothers
  • Neil Diamond
  • Ella Fitzgerald
  • Chubby Checker -- Peppermint Twist
  • Perry Como  -- Too many to list, but this time of the year ALWAYS reminds me of him.
  • Buck Owens  --  Not real crazy about him, but he was a headliner in his day.
  • Righteous Brothers --  Do I even have to tell you what song comes to mind?
  • Patsy Cline  --  So many.........  Crazy, huh?
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Billie Joe Royal -- 1966
  • Dolly Parton -- Every Saturday evening.
  • Glen Campbell
  • Jim Reeves
  • Percy Faith
  • Marty Robbins
  • Red Folley
  • Tennessee Ernie Ford -- 16 Tons
  • Patty Page -- Sang one of daddy's favorite songs.
  • Dinah Shore
  • Glen Miller
  • Roger Miller
  • Mitch Miller -- Remember the sing along show?  The Yellow Rose of Texas
  • Dinah Washington
  • The Ink Spots
  • Tommy Dorsey
  • Brenda Lee -- Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
  • Guy Lombardo -- What would New Years Eve be without him?
  • Gogi Grant -- The Wayward Wind
  • Louie Armstrong
  • Burl Ives
  • Doris Day -- Whatever Will Be, Will Be
  • B J Thomas
  • Jimmy Dean
  • Hank Williams
  • Bing Crosby
  • The Lennon Sisters
  • Frankie Lane
  • Tony Bennett
  • Eddy Arnold
  • Dean Martin
  • Roger Williams
  • Bobby Vinton
  • Neil Sedaka
  • The Platters
  • Bobby Darin
  • Roy Orbison
  • Herb Alpert & The Tijuna Brass
  • Marilyn Maye -- The Lamp is Low
  • John Gary
  • Dave Clark Five
  • Simon and Garfunkle
  • Floyd Cramer
  • Chet Atkins
  • Pat Boone
  • Nat King Cole
  • Rosemary Clooney
  • Ed Ames
  • Petula Clark
  • The Carpenters
  • Teresa Brewer
  • Andrew Sisters
  • Liberace
  • The Beach Boys
  • Sony and Cher
  • The Mills Brothers
  •  Elvis -- He's been dead for almost 40 years, but he is iconic.
  • Henry Mancini -- His music was in so many movies of the 60s.
  • Peggy Lee -- Is That All There Is?
  • Beatles
  • John Denver -- One of my favorites
  • Ray Charles
  • The Mamas and Papas
  • Rolling Stone
  • Supremes
  • Paul Anka
  • Everly Brothers
This is by no means all of the music of my life.  I could have gone forever, but I had to stop.  Yep, some are gone, some are much older, some are almost forgotten, but some never will be.  I may forget them myself someday, but for now their music lives on with me and what great music it is.


I love you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive