Monday, September 5, 2016

When in Doubt, Throw It Out

Hello on this fine Labor Day--2016.  Our day has been pretty lazy, but hey, we're retired.  I've got some allergies going on so I might as well blog.


When in doubt, throw it out!  I've been cleaning closets which might have caused all the allergies (dust anyone??).  Nothing is more therapeutic for me than getting rid of stuff which has become junk to me.  Last week I started with the pantry.  You'd be surprised at what all I found...........or maybe not.  So many memories are in these photos. 



If you looked at the first picture, then you know what this is.
A very nice pecan cracker in great condition.  The trouble is I don't crack pecans anymore; nobody does.  I have more income than I did in 1974 and I don't have to watch my pennies as I did then.  As my hubby said, "People don't grab a bowl of pecans and crack them while they listen to the radio programs."  So very true!  Almost sad.  Almost sadly, I am giving this to charity.
 
Next are two nostalgic items that I am keeping although I don't really know why.
Remember when the Italian restaurants had these wine bottle drip candle holders?  And all those matches from places we've been.............can't throw them out.  They mean nothing to anyone but us, but we enjoy finding them in the closet when we clean.  It gives us meaningful conversation for a few minutes plus it causes us to recall a younger "us", our beginning.

I was rereading this before publishing and I noticed I hadn't written about this.
This.................being my grandma's bread bowl.  I am not sure if this is the bowl in her kitchen or one we found in an outbuilding near their house, but I like to think that it is one in her kitchen which she used all the time.  Years ago I had it hanging on my wall and it dropped and split so we used wood glue to put it back together.  Of course, I am NOT going to give this away.  Wood bowls are in style once again so I might drag it out of the closet and use it in my fall decorating.
Grandma had flour in this bowl.  When she made biscuits, she'd add the ingredients right in the center and mix the biscuits right there.  She'd form them by hand and put on a baking sheet which had melted shortening, turning so that both sides had shortening on them before placing in the oven.

I didn't throw these out either, but I put notes in them to let our children know why I have them.  They were on Mrs. Tucker's what-not shelf.  We think they were Aunt Shirley's toys.

I am sure you are SHOCKED at this photo!!  Yes, Nana is a lush............NOT!  These bottles have been in my cabinet up so high that you'd have get a ladder to reach them.  They are probably 30 years old..............and time to GOYou know what, we opened them and they still smell like they did when I used them in recipes way back when.  NO, WE DID NOT TASTE THEM.  And no we didn't give them to charity.  They were used to clean the plumbing. 

Wow, here we are at the green waffle iron we received for a wedding present in 1972.  It probably should have been thrown out years ago, but hey, we still use it.  Who needs a new waffle iron when this one works perfectly fine.  After all, I only make waffles every five years or so, and when I need a waffle iron, here this beauty is.  And we can have a conversation about how old this iron is and how much longer it will last.....they don't make 'em like they used to.  This was a present from my office and that color was very popular back then.  The plates can be turned over to make a griddle, all Teflon lined.  Perhaps I had a Panini pan before it was called a Panini pan.

I threw these glasses out.  I bought these jelly glasses a few years ago at an antique store because this is what my family used for everyday glasses when I was a kid.  I felt nostalgic for a few days; they served their purpose.  Now they are ready to bring memories to somebody else.
Surprisingly, these glasses are really a sturdy glass for drinking and holds exactly enough and I kind of liked drinking from them again, but alas, you can't live in the past. 


....................So I kept some things, threw out some things, found some outdated food, and had lots of fun reminiscing.  But when in doubt, throw it out!


I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive