Thursday, October 20, 2016

This Man--His Eyes

His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!


Just as I posted yesterday, it IS hard to say goodbye and last week we had to say goodbye to one of my favorite relatives.  This man! 
My dad's brother.  My favorite grandma's youngest son.  (If I had a picture of her and my grandpa, I would show you just how much a family resemblance there is; a perfect blend of the two of them.)  And my last uncle.  I could write an entire post on the changing dynamics of my family, but today I want to focus on this man; and his twinkling eyes.





I guess the Dawkins' blood must run true, because this man was a lot like my own daddy.  When he'd call me it would always take me my surprise.  It'd surprise me first of all just for the fact that he'd called.  Second, he would just start talking as if we had already been in conversation for 10 minutes, just like daddy.  I had to catch up quickly and do a lot of mental 'filling in the blanks' to even be on the same page.  And just as quickly as the conversation began, it would be over, and I'd hear the click of the phone, just like daddy.  No need in extra conversation.  He'd said what he needed to say and he was off to do other things.


In recent years we'd see him and my aunt Donna out and about, most often at a restaurant.  As we'd approach them, his eyes would start sparkling, every time, and I could just see that he was going to have a story.  He'd start the conversation as if we had been setting there talking for the last ten minutes and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was often perplexed because it took me a minute to figured out just where he was in thought and words.  The conversation most often started with "one of your relatives...............".  (My mind would be racing to figure out just which relative he was talking about and if I remembered them.)  He was always good for the latest up-to-date story of  a relative and how he kept up with everybody I'll never know.


He pretty much passed away just as he hung up the phone.  I'm glad he didn't have to suffer long, but still I will miss him.  One of the things I will miss most about him are his eyes,  His eyes!  They always reminded me of these lines in "A Visit From St. Nicholas" by Clement C. Moore.


His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!

So.....................here I am.............writing a little post about a relative (and now uncle, I, too, have a story about a relative).......................a post about my uncle...........a post about his eyes--how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry! 


I love you.


This man could have played Santa and I would have believed that he had just come from the North Pole.  
His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!


This man--his eyes!


By the way, the lovely woman with him is his daughter. No doubt, huh?  Perhaps she could play Mrs. Claus because she has his same twinkly eyes.




   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive