Thursday, May 29, 2014

It All Started When We Took That Wall Out

It all started when we took out a wall; the wall between the living room and the dining room.  Did you know if you take out a wall, the footprint of that wall remains?  You know what that means?  New carpet!!!  Not that I necessarily want carpet for I would much rather have wood floors, but marriage consists of many compromises.  This is one of them...........therefore, carpet. 


You know what new carpet means?  It means you need to paint.  So painting has begun.  We started in our closet which meant taking everything OUT of the closet.  This needed to be done a long time ago........the culling, that is.  We have too many clothes.  As we were taking the clothes out, we started talking about tornado shelters and that this closet would be perfect for that. 


So.............we stopped everything and headed to a safe room fabricator.  Oh man.........this was perfect.  It really was.  The safe room could be covered over to look just like the existing closet, however, the closet space itself would be 4 or 5 inches less on each side.  Doesn't sound like much, does it?  But that would reduce the closet width by almost 10 inches.  Now you can really understand how this will impact our space.  Still, we were pretty much sure we were going to do this when we left the store.  Once we got in the car, I voiced my concern.  I told my hubby that most likely we would only use it for a tornado shelter maybe once a year, but we would use it as a closet constantly.  I would open and close that closet at least 4 times a day..........at least.  And let me tell you, that door is heavy.  Oh I could shut it without much trouble now, but what if I get sick?  What if I don't have the strength to close it four times a day? 


So..............back to our original plan.............paint.  The closet was a cinch to paint and only took about an hour.  But while we are in the closet...........why not add a new shelving unit.  We'd never had floor to ceiling cabinets as most houses do................so off to Home Depot we go where I found something that would be perfect for our closet.  The hubby put it together while I prepped the hall for painting. 


I have always prided myself in a lot of DIY projects, painting is one of them, but I must tell you I HATE PREPPING.  I HATE IT!!!  Did you know I worked at least an hour last night and about 2 more hours this morning just to GET READY TO paint that stupid hall?  Then I think (right there - that's a bad idea--me thinking) before I paint the hall walls, why not paint the ceiling.  Let me tell you something!  That is hard, hard, hard work.  POPCORN ceilings........whose idea was that?  They are horrible to paint.  Good thing that paint was pink or I would never have known where I painted and where not.  Don't worry, it dries white.


By this time, the hubby felt sorry for me and came to my rescue.  We finished the ceiling by 12:30 and finished the hall walls by 3:00.  It is DONE!!!!    Sort of...........


Now we have four bedrooms to paint, and two living areas.  BUT WE ARE NOT GOING TO PAINT THOSE CEILINGS.  NOPE..........NOT GONNA DO IT!!!!!!  If you come over don't look up cause the paint will be not be fresh.


So.............after a couple days


..the closet is painted.
..we have a new shelving unit
..we have newly painted ceiling
..we have newly painted hall walls
..we have our clothes back in the closet
..I have a sore neck!!!!!!!!!


There's a good chance I am going to be sore all over tomorrow..........but now I am thinking about painting the bathroom...........sucker for punishment!!!  It all started when we took that wall out.


I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive