Thursday, August 7, 2014

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream Sauce with Green Chilies

Good evening.  I bet you never thought I was going to write again, but here I am. 


The other day I made some delicious Chicken Enchiladas with sour cream sauce.  I am posting this for a certain someone.  You know how I love to use up every little bit of a rotisserie chicken so here's just another version, but it was better than all the others I have made.



Sour Cream Sauce with Green Chilies:  I melted about 2 T. butter in a skillet and added probably 3 T. flour.  Stir and cook until it is slightly golden--a simple roux.  I added a tiny bit of garlic paste, probably 1/2 t. but that is subjective to your liking.  I stirred in probably 1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken broth.  At this point I added sour cream, a little over 1/2 cup.  I kept tasting until I got the right taste of sour cream that I wanted.  If it is too think, you might want to add more chicken broth.  While it was heating, I added a couple tablespoons of canned green chilies.  This sauce was so good, but as you can see, everything was added to "taste".  *See below

Enchiladas:  Shred a cup or more of rotisserie chicken.  Sprinkle a little cumin over chicken and I added a couple T. of the green chilies and a 1/2 jar of Trader Joe's Green Enchilada Sauce.  You don't want it soupy so be careful on the sauce.  Chopped onions would have been great in this, but I didn't think of it.  Add a layer of the chicken in a line across the center of a corn tortilla and roll up.  (I heated the tortillas in a moist paper towel in the microwave to make them pliable.)  Place in a casserole dish.  This recipe made 6 enchiladas.  I poured the rest of the Trader Joe's Green Chili Sauce and the rest of the can of green chilies over the tortillas.  Put it in the oven and bake till heated through.  About 10 minutes before it is done, pour the Sour Cream Sauce over the tortillas.  *Here's where it gets a little interesting.  Just before I poured the sauce over the tortillas, I realized I have a couple tablespoons of heavy cream in the frig that needed to be used so I added it to the sauce.  It really added a richness which I loved.......even just using a little.  So I poured it over the tortillas.  And then I saw a couple of softened butter and thought..........hmmm...........a little butter never hurt anyone.  So added pats of butter over the sauce and put the pan back into the oven.  Over all that, I added a couple torn white cheddar slices.  I was too lazy to shred.  After 10 minutes it was bubbly and hot and delicious.  The best sauce I have ever made. 

I am sorry for not being more precise, but I taste as I go and if I need salt, I add salt.  And I did add salt and pepper along the way.  If the sauce was too thick, I just thinned it with either more sour cream, more chicken broth, or more chilies.

Hope you can use this sauce recipe someday.  A lot of sauces seem start with a simple roux and you go from there adding ingredients for the flavors you want.

I love you.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive