Thursday, April 14, 2011

Purple Hull Peas


We are in my husband's home state tonight; a much needed trip for both of us. We are not here to visit relatives or even to visit his old haunts--just to get out of Dodge and our comfort zone, but memories crept up on us anyway. We have found an incredibly delicious place to eat here in Malvern, AR, on Highway 270 East from downtown Malvern. The Brick House serves home cooked American foods and as you enter there is a glass pie case filled with at least 7 different cream pies and cheesecakes and it took little persuasion for us to bring two slices back to the hotel. Tonight my husband had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes made with real potatoes, and collard greens. I had fried catfish, baked potato, and purple hull peas. Purple Hull Peas!!!


The peas were exactly the way my mother-in-law fixed them, flavored with onion and bacon. I haven't had purple hulls since she passed away in 1994. Tonight I gave my husband a taste and his reaction was "We lost a lot of things when we lost mom". I had not thought about it in that sense, but this is so true. Even though we loved the peas I didn't fix them for my family. The same for many other foods she would fix. Sometimes it is years before something triggers a memory of something "lost". I think I will cook some purple hulls in honor of a wonderful woman.


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever had them. I just now saw your post. I would have commented sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. You are the only one that ever reads. I liked yours yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive