Monday, April 25, 2011

Refinishing Teak Table

I promised someone that I would tell how my teak table turned out. We got this table the week before my 33 year old daughter was born and it was delivered while I was in the hospital giving birth. In those days, you would get to stay in the hospital days to recover. Can't help but wonder if moms would be better off if they weren't rushed out of the hospital 22 hours after delivery. So many new moms are having postpartum depression. Is there any connection? Just asking?






I took the table outside to sand with the electric sander. Started out with 1600 grit, moved to 800 and neither took off a thing. After many different size grit papers, I moved to 100 for a few strokes. I then went back to 150 grit which worked pretty well. I spent probably 45 minutes sanding. The picture above is what it looked like after I brought it in the house. I wiped it down several times with a damp cloth and let it dry.




I had a couple of teak oils in my cabinet, but I finally decided that the oil I used the first and only time I refinished the table was the one in the picture.














Here are a few photos after the oil. You can see how beautifully the table looked after only a few minutes of sanding and some oil. No stain was used. The last picture was taken after several coats of oil. Hubby put on another coat the next day. The wood absorbs the oil like a sponge and I will continue to oil it over the next few weeks. Don't throw your teak tables out. They truly will look like new if you only take the time to sand and oil. Some of the deeper scratches are still there, but they only remind me of the good times we have had around that table.












1 comment:

  1. Looks really good. I left a comment on the other post but I guess it didn't show.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive