Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Skunk

Living in the rural areas of Oklahoma City, you will often smell the odor of a skunk. Most of the time you will smell their scent right at the same time you see their flatten bodies on the street. Too late! You cannot get away from it. BUT today, guess where I smelled that odor. Inside my house! Yes, that is right, inside my house. Stink to high heaven! Horrible! Disgusting!! And there is no DEAD skunk YET, but believe me, if he ever shows his disgusting black and white body, he is DEAD. He is already DEAD to me! Do you have any idea how hard it is to get rid of this smell in my house? I am burning every candle in the house. Even pulled out the 1970 incense. Boiling vinegar doesn't work, neither does bleach in the sinks, toilets, and any other thing that will hold bleach. I tried using Febreze and any other deodorizer I had in the house, even using an air ionizer. Nothing is working folks. So I did what every woman does in a panic situation. I cleaned. I used every product I had. Most of the times when you clean, you have that great clean smell. Well, that was what I was hoping. Nothing! Oh yeah, my house is clean, but I am going to be so embarrassed when someone comes to the door cause this smell is going to knock them over. Yes tomorrow I am expecting the marble fabricator to measure my bathroom vanity. Ugh! And my clothes, what about my clothes? Will people gag when they come near me? Am I going to have to wash everything in my closet????

Now this is the strangest part of this whole story and I am not sure that I am not just a little crazy. I lived on a farm until I was 21 years old and have lots of wonderful stories which I hope to share in another post. Living in the country is a simple life dealing with all kinds of critters including skunks so I should be seasoned. Mom and Dad's house had a crawl space with a little door so you could fix plumbing if need be. Once in a while a skunk would get under the house and do his dirty work, but one time in particular the smell was especially horrible. This was after I married and for over a month every time we visited them you could smell that nasty smell. Today that memory came flooding back to me. You would think it would be a disgusting memory, but for some odd feeling it was a sense of comfort. I think the memory of visiting my parents during that "skunk" episode and the warm fresh air flowing through my windows via my attic fan served as a catalyst to the past.


I guess if one can find a blessing in a skunk spraying the house, it might be the sweet memory of momma and daddy. Still, I don't want my own kids to have this memory. Life is just a laugh a minute.

1 comment:

  1. I guess dad being sick is a good thing this time since he can't smell it. Good post

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive