Monday, June 25, 2012

A Few Summer Loves

Last few posts were very nostalgic for me so tonight I am going to lighten it up a bit.  This is just trivia and a few things I love about summer. 

1.  Frozen strawberries - Wash berries, stem, and dry.  Put them in a freezer bag and pull out a few for breakfast.  Let them thaw 20 minutes and they will be just right for eating.  Taste like a slushy.

2.  Watching my grandsons play in the sprinkler and helping them dry off.  Their wet eyelashes are adorable.

3.  Cold Coke over crushed ice.  Having one now.

4.  Swimming - If I could get the hubby to agree, I would have a swimming pool.  Loved swimming since our camping days.  Actually, I loved laying on a raft in the water. 

5.  Summer rain showers.  The air smells incredible.  Had a nice one last week.

6.  Movies at the movie theater.  Cool, dark theater, coke snuck in the purse, and theater popcorn; what could be better.

7.  Farmer's market - You folks still working might not know that there are great markets during the week.

8.  4th of July ! * ! * - I will have a blog totally devoted to the 4th of July in a few days.

9.  Falls Creek - the highlight of my summer as a child.

10.  Camping - Sadly we don't camp anymore.  Sad

11.  Red River - now has taken the place of camping.  When it is 105 here, it will be 75 there.  This year they are having a heat wave and it was 85 there today.

12.  Homemade Ice Cream - Braum's or Blue Bell can't compete.  Haven't made any in 5 years.  Maybe this year.  Rhonda's Buttered Pecan is the best.

13.  Snowcones - Always cherry.  The best ones are in Meadville, MS.  Ask for extra cream.  In fact, just open a can of sweetened condensed milk and pour over snowcone.

14.  Sandals - I love sandals.  Back in the day when I actually worked, my feet would hurt all the time.  Couldn't wait till summer so my dogs could rest.

15.  Drive-In movies - Now this is different from number 6.  Remember drive-in movies in the 60s.  I was on a double-date in 1966 and we were at the Prague Drive-in.  "Shenandoah" was playing, long movie, and we had to leave before it finished because my curfew was 10:30.  I don't even know what to say about that, but feel sorry for me.

16.  Pedicures - Love them and don't get them during the winter.  The dogs have to look good in the sandals.

17.  Sun hats - I love them.  I look silly, but I love them.

18.  Watermelon - Seriously my favorite summertime treat.  Even more than corn.

19.  Tanning - Don't do that anymore, but I love to tan.  Nothing more relaxing than laying by a pool enjoying the rays.  Of course when you are near the pool, you can just jump in to cool off.

20.  Bruschetta or anything with basil; Caprese Salad.  Maybe tomorrow.

21.  Going on a summer vacation - Now that we are retired we don't vacation during the summer as we did when the kids were with us.  I miss that.  I miss seeing all the families enjoying the hotel pool and wondering where they are headed.  I miss my kids during the summer

Memory about the kids - and you thought I wouldn't have a sentimental memory tonight.  Once during the summer, a local radio station was having a promotion at the MWC Arby's for breakfast.  If you came to Arby's that day, they would give the kids a promotional item (probably a mug) and get a free ham and cheese croissant sandwich, my son's favorite (probably still is).  The kids looked so cute, Steven about 7, Shawna about 4.  A customer came up to us and told me how cute my kids were and how neat they looked.  I used to iron the kids clothes, even their t-shirts.  I don't think I will ever forget that sweet woman and the fact that she stopped to compliment my children. 

I love you guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive