Thursday, June 14, 2012

R E S P ..... E C T

Aretha.....oh what a great song. 

Well RESP...ECT is what I'd like to have.  Yesterday, I was at my local grocery store where a woman was passing out deli samples.  There were about 8 or 9 things to try, all covered by plastic lids.  I came by and she asked me if I would like to try something.  I said, "Yes, thanks.  I would like to try the Hearts of Palm Salad and the Thai Chicken Salad."  She said, "I am not going to give you the Thai Chicken Salad until you finish the Palm Salad."  I was shocked.  I was embarrassed.  I felt like I was 8 years old running up there to grab samples with not a parent in sight. 

I discussed this with the hubby when I got home and we both agreed that we feel like we are at the age when we deserve a little respect.  We are kind, we are outstanding citizens, we dress neatly, we are well-groomed, we have made our way in life, and now we have money to buy each of those salads.  By the way, she did finally give me the second sample after I thanked her for the first one (after I finished it, of course) and started to leave the area.  Yes, I would have bought each of those salads because they were really good; however, I was upset that she treated me with what I felt was disrespect.  At that point I was not going to buy a thing from the deli.  (That'll teach her.)

We have had a few episodes like the one yesterday in the last couple of months and not about food samples.  Episodes where we feel disrespected.  Maybe it is a sign of the times, maybe we look like shop lifters, maybe we don't look a serious buyer, or maybe this is the way elders have been treated all along and we are just now "that" age and are noticing it more.  Maybe they don't know how much money we really have!!!  We'll boycott.  That'll teach 'em.  The reality of it is, she really could care less if I buy those salads.     

Just on my little soap box today.  Needing a little Aretha.

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive