Sunday, June 24, 2012

There Were Definitely Some Oinking Sounds Going On

After John's comment to yesterday's publication, I have to write just a tad more about our corn feast.  He was not exaggerating when he said he never saw so much corn consumed.  You can't even imagine how many ears we had to cook.  So much corn that we had to boil it in mom's huge canner.  Think about it, there were 12 adults and no telling how many children back then.  Let's see..........maybe 8 kids.  If R. ate 22 and the rest of the adults averaged 5 - that is 77 ears of corn on the cob.  Then the kids.....maybe a couple each, but then some only ate one so let's give them a break and say a dozen ears.  That is 89 ears!!!!  Something like 8 dozen.  Holy smokes guys............89 EARS.  And don't you guys start telling me that the rest of us did not average 5 ears a piece.  You know you ate that much.  I know for a fact that I ate more than 5.  I bet we each had our own stick of butter, too, for nobody would let go of their corn long enough to pass it.  No wonder dad had to plant 5 acres at a time.  He needed three acres just for lunch that day.  Hubby says that even the Donor party would have backed off when they saw us eating corn. 

Do you remember the time mom had the lid setting on top of the canner so the corn would heat up faster and the lid blew off and hit the ceiling?  I guess it was setting tighter on the canner than we thought.  Remember?  Somebody might have seriously gotten hurt that time. 

Do you remember that corn was all over us - head to toe.  Remember how good it felt to get those wet, corn shucking clothes off?  We had to change the kids, too, for we were all just filthy with corn silks, dirt, and pollen from the stalks.  Even though mom had an air conditioner in the south window in the kitchen, it was still hot so we'd change into our shorts.  By the time we got home, corn bits would be stuck to our legs like glue...........corn bits on your glasses.........corn bits in our hair.

Remembering cleaning mom's kitchen afterwards?  We'd have to wipe down all the cabinets, the countertops, the stove, the refrigerator, the freezer, and mop the floor.  I know we still left her a mess.  No telling how many times she had to mop that kitchen that next week. 

There was definitely some oinking sounds going on, but as John said, it was fun.  

I love you guys.

   

3 comments:

  1. I am so homesick now! I miss those times! Every time we have corn on the cob, John tells every one how much I can eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them, too. I have 7 ears of corn in the frig now and I could eat them all in one setting. We are the only ones that understand this corn thing. Love you.

      Delete
    2. I just realized, if we cooked 8 dozen at that setting and the bag I got this weekend had 25 ears, then we needed over 3 bags of corn. No wonder our husbands talk about this feast.

      Delete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive