Monday, September 9, 2013

Email

I opened my email and have 17 emails and not one of them was from a friend.  Oh, I have those wanna be friends; i.e. Soft Surroundings, Best Buy, Sam's Club, Frontgate, Plow and Hearth, Gurney's, Jackson and Perkins, QVC, Weight Watchers, etc, but they only want my MONEY.

My point is we don't send emails anymore.  Texting only three or four words at a time seems to be the norm.  Times, they are a changing.  Time for an email--no way.  Letter........in the mail?...........are you kidding?

When did our lives become so busy that we fail to contact the very people we love?  When did we become so engrossed in our personal (me me me) lives that we don't even take the time to call?  When did we decide that texting was better than hearing our loved ones' voice?  When did we decide that emailing was better than taking the time to pen something in our own handwriting?  When did we convince ourselves that a one-line text was enough to assuage our conscience into believing that we are fulfilling our communication obligation to each other? 

When?  I miss those letters and emails, full of news about the family and full of past or upcoming adventures.  I miss those long handwritten letters even the x'ed out mistakes.  As soon as I opened the mailbox and saw your handwriting, I knew I had something exciting to read......sent just to me.   

I kept most of my family's handwritten letters, especially Grandma Tucker's.  My grandchildren will never know her, but they will have a sense of her by the things of which she wrote.  If you have ever sent me a letter, chances are I have it in "the" box.  Future generations will find those letters someday, but before then I think I will take a few out and reread them...just to remember.  They were special; sent at a special time; sent from special people.

I love you.

When I worked I received a lot of emails that needed to be answered.  They set my precedence for my day....lined up my work schedule.  These days my days are certainly not determined by the latest email, but I still have this habit of looking to see if I have received any emails.  As I loved those handwritten letters, I love a long email. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive