Friday, September 5, 2014

All This Makes for a Great Life

Last evening, we went back to the Boulevard Cafeteria.  I have written about this cafeteria before, but last night was so entertaining I wanted to share it again.  Every Thursday night an old guy plays the keyboard--not going to say he is the greatest pianist, but he sure knows a lot of tunes.  And he takes requests.  Anything from The Beatles to Bach and a lot of old show tunes and he is especially good with swing music.  And anyway, there is just something about live music.....


Every time we have gone, there has been a group of older seniors (Older than us, can you believe it?) and last night they were in rare form.  One gentleman was celebrating his 89th birthday, and we, of course, sang along when twenty or more of his friends sang Happy Birthday to him.  I just marvel at these older folks and despite their ails and pains, they show up happy to be there enjoying one another, hugging and kissing as they come and go throughout the evening. 


As we were enjoying watching these folks dance, recall songs, and try to remember who was in that movie with Deborah Kerr, in came a little tiny woman, all alone.  The keyboardist reached out to her holding both her hands.  It was obvious he knew her as he guided her to the others.  I leaned to the hubby and said, "I think she drove herself."  He replied, "You think so?  Nah."  "She came in alone.  Do you see anyone with her?"  Later, he said, "Look, she's holding her keys so I guess she did drive.  Hmm"  It was only a few songs later when we looked up and there she was dancing with another woman a few years younger than her.  Yes, they were dancing a polka.  Oh my, it was the most entertaining thing of the evening.  The old woman was kicking up her legs almost waist high (I kid you not--at least 10 times), then she'd wiggle down and come back up without much struggle.  All eyes were on her, getting applause in the middle of the dance for her moves.  She was loudly applauded and well deserved. 


I actually had tears in my eyes as I watched the old woman dance.  We found out she was 94 years old, but I knew she was only 20 in her mind.  She still thought of herself as the girl she had once been.  In that moment, in front of all those folks, friends--strangers, she was 20.  She still had it!   


Oh, I hope I am like these older folks when I get their age.  I would like nothing more than join a group of friends for some mediocre cafeteria food, some mediocre music, some mediocre dancing, but great time being with friends.........All this makes for a great evening........All this makes for a great life!


I love you!!!


Regarding the scarf post, I went to Versona yesterday and I actually bought a scarf.  Let me clarify that statement.  I did go to Versona and I did buy a scarf, but only so Audrey could play with it.  There are so many pretty gewgaws (my mother-in-law used that word to describe anything bright and shiny), and my Audrey was grabbing at anything within or just beyond her reach.  Hey, it was only $3.00 so why not?!?  That kept her entertained the whole time we were in the store.  So Audrey's mom gets the scarf.....she looks great in them. 


 


 

2 comments:

  1. Audrey loved her scarf. Thank you. Sounds like you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we need to make sure Audrey's mom gets the scarf. It is here.

      Delete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive