Monday, September 15, 2014

My Little Barbed Wire Memory

Tonight are watching a documentary about Route 66 through the eyes of Billy Connolly.  Such a very interesting perspective of the old Route 66.  There are so many people around the world who would like nothing more than travel our USA Route 66. 


Anyway, tonight Billy Connolly stopped in McClain, TX, to visit the Devil's Rope Museum.  Devil's Rope as in barbed wire.  You can click on here just in case you are in McClain, TX, as we will be very, very soon on our trip out west.  Who knows we might just stop in.


Of course, you know I have a barbed wire memory, don't you?  The year was 1966, the month was May and I was just about ready to graduate.  I had on a blue and white gingham dress that my mother had made for me.  It was Senior Night and I was really excited because my parents said I could take the car to Shawnee after it was over.  So I jump out of the car and ran to the house to change my clothes before taking off.  I was to meet my cousin in just a little bit.


And here's where it all goes wrong.  I forgot that dad had put up a barbed wire fence, an electric barbed wire, one strand of wire, around the house to keep the cows from getting in the yard.  So here I go, running as fast as I can.  Got to change clothes and get back on the road.  I forgot about the wire until the very last minute, but before running into it head-long, I ducked down.  I ducked down just in time................almost.  I ducked under the wire, but barely and that barb ripped the skin on my back every 1/2 inch for 6 inches.  Not only my skin was ripped, but my brand new dress, the dress mom made for me just for Senior Night was in shreds.  By the time I got my dress off, blood was oozing from every nick.  I was in pain.  You'd think that would keep me home.  You'd be wrong.  I just cleaned myself up, added bandages and off to Sonic I went.


What a great fun memory.  I still have the tiny scars to prove this story.  And bless Mom's heart, she was able to mend that dress by cutting a piece of the fabric on the bias to cover the holes.  I remember the exuberance I felt that night.  Excited that I was going to Shawnee, excited that I was graduating, excited for all the unknown years ahead of me. 


That's it.  My Little Barbed Wire Memory


I love you.


Oh yes, I have another one involving the new car that I wrote about that somewhere in this blog.


 

1 comment:

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive