Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Just a Trip to Arby's

Last night we took the little convertible out for a spin--just to keep the battery charged.  We reminisced while driving through our old neighborhoods, driving by my old duplex, then the duplex which my husband owned and our first home together, then our first house.  We bought that first little house for $8500--I kid you not.


Then we made a stop at Arby's; probably my favorite fast food if any fast food could be called my favorite.  As soon as I started unwrapping that paper, the aroma instantly carried me back to my very first visit to Arby's way back in the early 70s.  I thought that sandwich was just about the best thing I had ever eaten.  That restaurant was located on 29th Street just across the street west from its current Del City location. 


While I was describing my first Arby's sandwich, my hubby looked up at me and said "Aren't we lucky that we were so inexperienced and naïve that a roast beef sandwich was an experience."  That really resonated with me.  Our discussion then led to remembering our first taste of pizza; knowing exactly where it was and the people we were with.  My first taste of Mexican food (other than tamales out of a can) was downtown OKC at El Charito's.  I was at the Future Homemakers of America convention at the Civic Center, a yearly convention and the highlight of each my high school years.  A day in the big city............and I knew that's where I was going to eventually live.


Our children and especially our grandchildren are certainly not naïve regarding food.  Pizza on every block so much so that even they get tired of it.  Mexican food is just about as prevalent for them and certainly not the treat to them as it was to me in 1964.  Is there anything for children these days to be naïve about?  Everything is quite literally at their finger tips.


Yes, I am glad I lived during a time when certain things were new.  Maybe it is our age showing, but we are grateful for such small things as a memory of a gooey, cheesy pizza.  Will our children be as grateful?


So we were just a little naïve.  Just a trip to Arby's...............


I love you.     
One year I remember we went to Shepherd Mall, probably the first year it opened.....talk about taking the country out of the girl.........whew..........what an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive