Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Tomato Basil Soup Recipe using Trader Joe's Organic Creamy Tomato Soup






One of my favorite grocery stores in the whole wide world is Trader Joe's.  I discovered TJs back in 2000 when I was traveling to the LA area on business trips.  At first I was confused because almost all the products are the Trader Joe's brand.  There were none in Oklahoma at that time and it was many years before they were even in Texas. Finally, they made it to Dallas and ever since when traveling to Texas there has been a stop at Trader Joe's.  

Finally, a couple years ago they made it to the Oklahoma City area.  Now I go there at least once a month.  A couple weeks ago I bought a carton of their Organic Creamy Tomato Soup.  While this soup is delicious heated right out of the carton, I wanted to up it just a little.  I experimented and found a WINNER!!!!  This is a keeper and both my husband I loved it.  Even reheated, it was delicious and a recipe I will making all winter.  Before I forget, I want to get it in print for my recipe box.  I thought I would share it here for all you Trader Joe soup fans.

(Pictured above)
Regina's Almost Homemade Tomato Soup
(using Trader Joe's Organic Creamy Tomato Soup)

1 large clove of garlic (diced)
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 14.5 ounce can whole tomatoes
1 carton Trader Joe's Creamy Organic Tomato Soup
1/4 to 1/3 cup garlic basil butter

In a medium saucepan, sauté the diced garlic in the olive oil; making sure to watch closely so it doesn't burn.  Yes, it happened to me.  Add the can of tomatoes, juice and all,  breaking up the tomatoes into small bits as you add.  Cook a bit to meld the garlic with the tomatoes.  Add the carton of TJs tomato soup.  Heat slowly.  Add the garlic basil butter.  Heat, but do NOT boil.

Ladle into bowls.
Garnish with shredded parmesan cheese and basil leaves. 

(I had frozen garlic basil butter on hand that I made.  Just soften some butter, add shredded basil leaves and crushed garlic to taste.  Make into rolls, refrigerate until set.  Cut into slices, wrap and freeze for later use.  I will be making more garlic basil butter for soups this winter.  My basil still looks wonderful this year.)



1 comment:

  1. So can you make me some? Looks so good. Those bowls have been used for a lot of soups.

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive