Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Enjoy the Night Breeze

It was dark when I joined the hubby on the porch swing tonight.  Truth be told, I joined him to hear his conversation with his sister-in-law from California so he wouldn't have to repeat every word when he got off the phone.  I have a habit of hounding my husband to call his relatives and then I want to know every word said.  He has the habit of telling me if I wanted to know everything said, then I should be the one making the call. 
After the call (and by the way my sister-in-law experienced two earthquakes while on the phone -- thought you'd like to know that) we walked out to observe the night sky.  The stars were twinkling with soft wispy clouds floating between us and the heavens.  Memories came flooding back...memories I had all but forgotten.....watching TV outside.  I was probably six years old when TVs were a new invention and air conditioning was all but unheard of.  You can imagine how hot the house can get without air conditioning.  If you have had your air conditioner fail, then you sort of know what I am talking about, but only for the day it takes to fix.  Daddy's heat remedy:  turned the TV around and pushed in front of the open window.  We turned off the inside lights, spread our blanket on the lawn, and enjoyed wonderful evenings watching TV in the cool night air.  Once in a while neighbors would join us.  I have a very faint memory of Daddy turning the handle of the ice cream machine while watching TV.  That must have been a great night.  That same summer, I remember Daddy, my brother, and me sleeping under the stars on army cots.       

I hope you, too, got a chance to be outside tonight, and I hope you have memories of the summer nights of your youth.  I wonder if our children or grandchildren will have such memories for it seems the cool night breezes are not as important anymore.  Today we are blessed to have air conditioning, thank goodness, but it makes me think that maybe we have lost something.  I think that "something" might just be "appreciation". 

Enjoy the night breeze.

I love you. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive