Monday, August 13, 2012

Watermelons

Gather 'round boys while Nana tells you a story.  In a time long ago, there were watermelons, some red, some yellow, with seeds.  I know, you are shaking your head in disbelief, but it is true.  I tell you, it is true.  This was a long, long time ago..........back when kids rode bikes without a care in the world, let alone wear a helmet.....back when our teacher knew our mother personally and knew us since we were born.....back in the day when the only stickers were stars and only on our very best papers....back when our teacher graded your papers in red pencil...but I digress (look it up).  Yes, watermelons had seeds and you are not going to believe this, our mother did not pick them out for you.  Nope we were on our own.  Now before you get all outraged that our mom was a hardball, it was not all that bad.  In fact, we thought it was kind of fun.  If one worked those seeds just right, seeds could fly out of ones mouth at lightening speed.  See, I told you it was fun. 

By the way, the watermelon in the picture is one we grew this year.  It is the first watermelon we have ever been able to grow to eat.  My grandson's picked it, but Grandpa had to carry it and then we had to weigh it - 21 pounds. 

Memory:  I remember the year when my grandpa Thompson raised watermelons; the little ice box size. I must have been about 11 or 12 because we were living on the north place.  We had all we could eat.  I remember getting home from school on a late summer day and having a whole half melon to myself.  So, so good.  Thank you, Grandpa.

I love you. 

   

1 comment:

  1. wow they didn't tell me that the watermelon was the one that you grew. awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive