Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I Finally Understand, Daddy

I finally understand, Daddy.

When I was little, it seemed like every time we planned a trip or special outing we would start up the driveway or turn the corner and see the land blowing.  We would turn right around, go back to the house and daddy would jump on the tractor and harrow (I think that is the implement he used) the field as quickly as he could.  That was pretty disappointing as a youngster.  I was ready to go to the zoo or wherever we were going.  I can still picture that tractor in high gear turning the soil.  (The top soil was blowing so if you turned up the moist earth, it wouldn't blow as much.)  Although at the time I had a general idea of why he did this, the magnitude of the emotion behind this act only became clear after the last two nights of watching the PBS Ken Burns series about the Dust Bowl. 

I also remember daddy telling me why the fields were terraced, but as a little girl it really didn't sink in.  The documentary explained all that in much too graphic detail...but true detail, interviewing people, the real salt of the earth people, the people who make me ashamed of myself when I complain about not having rain for a month, the people who swept buckets of sand out of their homes on a daily basis.  The people who died from dust pneumonia.  These people also make me ashamed when I complain that it has been raining for days or that the ballgame was called because of rain. 

There is no way I could describe all the details of the Dust Bowl, you will just have to watch this series. Ten years these people were plagued by many, many, many dust storms of Biblical proportions obliterating the sun at midday, rabbit invasions that were graphically filmed, and filmed grasshopper invasions......so many grasshoppers that it looked like the earth was moving.  Folks, this was not digitally enhanced.   I do not know how these people survived. I truly do not. Dust was blown as high as their roof tops, three feet of sand on the streets after a particular sand storm.
 
If you didn't watch it, I highly encourage you to do so. I am sure one of these days it will be reshown or perhaps you can pick it up at your local library. In fact, I would encourage you to watch it with your children.  I dare you not to cry.  You see, my daddy lived during this time although not in the area most affected by the Dust Bowl, but I am sure he was well aware of what was going on, right in our state.  I am sure it affected him as a future farmer.

The film also said that right now the aquifer that runs under that area and under 8 states is half of what it once was which is truly frightening.  One prediction is that the water will run out in 20 years....think about that folks......no drinking water.  Think about that when you run water full blast while brushing your teeth tomorrow.

Daddy, I understand now.  I understand why you stood on the front porch, looking to the southwest for just a hint of a dark cloud.  I understand you looking to the heavens for answers to your prayers.  I understand now how important it was for you to take me to Shawnee during a rain storm to buy me that wool black and white houndstooth skirt with the red top.  I finally understand, Daddy.  (And I finally understand my love of rain........it goes right back to my daddy..........and he fully understood the importance it played in our lives.)

I love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive