Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Waiting Till Morning - Put the Turkey in the Oven

Despite having allergies for the last few days which put me on the couch, everything Thanksgiving is coming together nicely........thanks to the hubby.........thanks to my daughter who spent the day with me. 

Today was a great day.......spending time with my grandsons always makes a great day.  I made a pan of cornbread for my dressing, and, as every year, we toasted Mrs. Tucker, my mother-in-law, with a slice right out of the oven slathered with butter.  What makes this year's toast special was me telling the boys about their great-grandmother and the story of her love of cornbread.  I have told this story before, but for those of you who do not want to reread all the posts to find the story here it is again.  Mrs. Tucker never ate between meals...she just didn't.  But when she came to visit us for Thanksgiving, we always shared a slice of hot cornbread, whether it be 9:30 in the morning or 2:30 in the afternoon.  That is just one of my sweet memories of her.....miss her.

Well, there is nothing left to do but wait till morning when all the cooking starts all over again. Early tomorrow morning the turkey will meet the heat! The broth will mix with the cornbread, the dumplings will be rolled, and the sweet potatoes will be peeled, the asparagus will be bundled with bacon, the rolls will be rising, and the green beans will be simmering. About 10:30 tomorrow morning the kitchen will be steamy (let's just say HOT) and the aroma of turkey will be hanging heavy in the air.

Tonight we are just waiting for the cooking storm to begin.  In the meantime, I think we will watch one of the funniest WKRP episodes ever.  "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I love you.

P.S.  I found out today from my 5 year old grandson that if I don't have a tissue, I can use my hand.  Then he proceeded to show me.  I could hardly keep a straight face.......he was so serious.  (I didn't tell his mom....but I guess she knows now.)

2 comments:

  1. PW has a clip from that episode. I loved how John just literally cackled every single time he watched that. And he watched it MANY times! Missed you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that she had that clip. I can't remember if we watched it with John or were just talking about it, but I remember us all laughing and him cackling over it. We had a nice quiet day.

      Delete

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive