Wednesday, August 7, 2013

For Now

Night before last my little grandsons spent the night with me.  I needed them....some grandchildren love.  They needed me....some grandma love.  If you've ever been a grandma, then you know exactly what I am taking about.

I convinced my grandsons that they needed to sleep on pallets just like I did as a child.  Remember those?  Remember sleeping on pallets at Grandma Dawkins' house?  Quilts and other various blankets were spread on the floor and all the cousins would chose our spot and sleep the night away.  I suppose we had a sheet or blanket for cover, but I honestly only remember the quilts under us.  We were young and we were tough and we could sleep anywhere.

Even though my boys are now 9 and 6, they still seemed so little and innocent.  As I told them good night, (they are beginning to be too old for kisses) I held each of their faces in my hands for a moment.  B.....the oldest with his fair complexion, and L....the youngest with his dark complexion.  Their pretty eyes smiling up at me..........again, so innocent, but what struck so close to my heart was how soft and clear their faces still were.  No rough hair stubble.  In fact, no hair at all on those beautiful faces. They are still little boys not quite ready for razors.  Soon...........soon...........soon.  For now I just want to enjoy their soft little faces, to feel that baby skin. 

So for now, we will sleep on pallets.  We will make hot cocoa and popcorn for our movie.  We will eat breakfast on the patio.  We will have ice cream sandwiches three times a day.  We will go to the secret hideout.  We will give hugs.  For now...........

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive