Friday, August 9, 2013

Yea for Tinker

This morning my oldest grandson asked me if Tinker AFB was the only job I ever had.  It almost was, but briefly I worked for the state of Oklahoma and had Tinker not come through, I more than likely would be counting down the hours until I could retire at 65.  Yea for Tinker!!!

That two week stint working for the state allowed me my very first paycheck and it came just in time for Christmas, 1966.  It was more money than I thought I would ever see at one time.  I could buy almost anything I could think of for my family that year.  Rather than the ten cent paper dolls, I could spend at least $5 each on my sisters.  Oh, yea for Tinker!!!

The hubby and I had a little discussion of how the world has changed, financially speaking, over the last 45 or so years.  What once was a luxury is now considered a necessity.  So many things in our lives today were not even dreamt of back in 1966.  

Our conversation transitioned to today's news about a famous personality who wanted to look at a $38,000 purse.  You heard that right, a $38,000 purse.  Never mind all the hoopla regarding that news story......that is their story.....but can you even fathom that there is a $38,000 purse out there?  Seriously?  If you take away one zero, would even a $3,800 purse be justifiable?  Seriously?  Maybe, maybe, maybe a handmade purse might be justified at $380 for all the workmanship that would go into it, but seriously???  $38,000??????

And............just as we were contemplating that $38,000 purse, we drove by a man who was on the side of the interstate with a shopping cart picking up cans.  The hubby said "Anything to make a dollar."  It saddened me to think of all the injustices in the world.  Believe me, I am a firm believe in working for your money, but things really touch me sometimes.  Some people can afford a $38,000 purse and some don't even own one............nothing...........nothing much in the world.

Just because you can afford a $38,000 purse, should you??????  But I could say that about a lot of things................. Well, that's about all I have to say today except yea for Tinker!!!

I love you. 

 









1 comment:

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive