Monday, October 13, 2014

And It Was Good

I fixed a wonderful meal tonight; a meal of old like Mom used to make.  Cube steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and frozen corn that I had cut off the cob this summer.  It was great!  Hubby was delighted.  We don't eat like that much anymore. 


But...........oh................we used to.  We used to eat like this everyday.  When I was a girl, we raised our own beef and there was always meat in the freezer........lots of beef.  Too much beef, they tell us today.  Mom didn't care much for steak--grilled steak or charcoal steak, that is.  But she was all about frying every cut including the T-bones and ribeyes.  Yes, that was how she cooked it.......almost every meal was fried steak.  Salt and peppered, floured and fried in shortening.  Every time.  And you know what, it was good.


And then I raised my own family, and I, too, had lots of beef in the freezer, thanks to my parents.  I fixed lots of steaks, too, and I am my mother's daughter so I cooked them as I was taught.  As the years went by, I learned that red meat isn't the most healthy thing to eat so we have gradually lessened it in our diets.  Every once in a while though, I have to go back to the old ways and fix some cubed steak with gravy and tonight it was exceptional.


Doesn't it just amaze you how our diets have changed in the last 50 years or so.  We lived out in the country and cows were a major part of our life.  We didn't have pizza delivery.  We didn't have a Dairy Queen on the next mile.  We didn't even have a restaurant 10 miles away.........so we had a freezer.............so we had beef..............so we had fried steak every meal.  It fed 5 kids.  And it was good.


I love you.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Autumn

Cherri

Followers

Blog Archive